460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth the money over reg bars and doz any one have them on an older Galaxie? thanks Ben

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes i believe they are worth the money because of the ease of installation and the fact that they work. We have some brand C stuff that run way down in the 5s (1/8) on them in the 3000 lb range. The only problem we have had with them is we cant seem to run wheelie bars with them because you still get a little spring wrap and you cant put the bars high enough off the ground to compensate. They seem to load the chassis and act somewhat like a 4 link as far as instant centers and the like are concerned.........Ron

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Let's put it this way, John Calvert has run deep in the 9's(and I believe he holds the SS/G record @ [email protected]) with his '68 428 Cobra Jet Super Stock Mustang on 10" tires. I'd say they work! John's also a nice guy to talk to.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My experience with cal tracs

I bolted a set of these on my supercharged 93 Lightning pickup, and have a few things to say about them...

1. Traction went from NONE to "Wow, this is a pickup truck?" on street tires.

2. Wheel hop was a significant problem in the past. Since installing these, I've *never* had a single hop.

3. They clack and clatter on the street if you have them adjusted a bit on the tight side where they'll do the most good. Install heater hose over the stop-bolts to make this go away. It acts like bump stops.

4. Ride quality suffers if left adjusted such that they work. I have about 1.5" of suspension travel in the rear after install.

5. With these things installed, you'll be able to store at least 20 bodies in the trunk. I was used to watching the suspension height and making a judgement call based on that as far as load is concerned. Well, after install I ended up filling my poor truck up to the bed rails with broken concrete before I realized what was going on! Stupider still, instead of unloading it, I drove it (gently) 11 miles to the dump like that. You should have seen the guys face at the scales! Bars survived that...so did the truck.

That's all I know about mine...I'm real happy with them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy's! Look's like a new set of cal tracs headed for Minnesota. This is the best site for info I have found. Thanks again. Ben

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'd get there springs as well! I don't know what shape yours are in but just save time and money and buy there stuff. I had some springs rearched and they didn't last 3 months. Bought the Calvert stuff and never been happier
:D :D :D :D

Ace

1 - 7 of 7 Posts