460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a standard bore 460 combo for the street & using flat tops & D-3's, is the Edelbrock Performer cam duration "too small" for crap pump gas?

If the Performer cam was meant to help low compression smog motors, will there be too much cylinder pressure with the flat tops & D-3's with this cam in the lower RPM range were a street motor spends most of it's time at? And will it cause detonation problems?

DAVID.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My dynamic compression ratio calculator comes up with 7.825 dcr with a static compression ratio of 9.5 using the Edelbrock cam. My engine has 7.9 dcr. The calculator uses intake valve closure among other things to calculate dcr. The intake valve closure is calculated from advertised duration among other things. The Edelbrock cam has 194/204 @ .050 but 272/282 advertised. My engine does ok on 87 and I have lousy quench.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a flat top 460 in a 79 4x4 with D3 heads and a crane energizer 272-284 112 lsa and it does not want to run on 87 octane. I have to heep the timing backed off to keep it out of detonation.
The performer cam is smaller than the Enegizer, so I would have to say, Yes ,you will have detonation problems unless you run premium fuel.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I had hoped to just use regular 87 (ish) pump gas for daily driving, and then switch to 91-93 if I needed to pull a trailer or go to the track.

Originally I was wanting to use a set of D0VE's because they were cleaned & checked already, but from what I read on the old site I'm sure that would be too much for pump gas & towing.

When I first ordered the Performer cam from Summit, they said it would be OK to use it with the D0VE head (even with flat tops) and wouldn't be a problem with pump gas. Shows what they know (LOL).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.