460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a hot rod truck, with a 1971 429. It has D0VE heads, stock pistons, edelbrock performer intake, AVS2 650cfm carb, and currently a mild "RV cam", I am assuming an Edelbrock performer plus. The truck also has a C-6, 4.10 ratio and weighs probably in the 3700-3800 pound area. What I want, besides the obvious hopes of improved performance, is a rowdier sounding motor. I know that's me being a bit of a poser, but it truly fits the purpose of this vehicle. It looks bad to the bone, and it should sound that way in my opinion. However, the truck will be street driven to rod runs, car shows and and occasional rip down a deserted road. It's not my daily driver, nor is it a race car. Comp cams recommended an off the shelf grind, their k 34-238-4. I have no idea what this grind will sound like, but it seems fairly timid to me. Any cam suggestions for my application are appreciated. I am even open to the thumpr cams, but I wasn't sure that they would generate enough vacuum for power brakes and they seem to have a horrible rep. It is the sound I am looking for however.

Side note: Unfortunately, I do not have time for a custom grind. The truck is currently taking up shop space on my dime.

Thank you in advance,
SHMO

·
Registered
244 Posts
Howard's 241101-12. Comp Cams seem to be to generic for me. But some people love them. Problem is going to be if you're running a stock torque convertor. It won't like a bigger cam and it would probably bang into forward and reverse gears when going from P/N.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts