460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
motor will consist of a stock '78 460 short block(freshened) ported D0VE heads, topped with a victor and undecided DP Holley, application is street class pulling truck. 1978 F250 w/auto and 4.10s, 6200lbs. port work will be home done, 2.19/1.76 valves. Looking at solid flat tappet cams. yes this is cheap, and probably not ideal, but it will be a start so i can get the truck hooking.
thanks
Daniel

· Registered
10,855 Posts
motor will consist of a stock '78 460 short block(freshened) ported D0VE heads, topped with a victor and undecided DP Holley, application is street class pulling truck. 1978 F250 w/auto and 4.10s, 6200lbs. port work will be home done, 2.19/1.76 valves. Looking at solid flat tappet cams. yes this is cheap, and probably not ideal, but it will be a start so i can get the truck hooking.
thanks
Daniel
A 2.19" intake valve will not allow vary much camshaft which is bigger than stock with D0VE heads and a stock pistoned short block. The intake valve notches in a production piston are not large enough for that size valve.

· Registered
10,855 Posts
there is no vacuum rule for that class. as far as valves go im not sure, would i be better off to stay with stock diameter?
thanks
Daniel
No larger than 2.125" diameter; that's the largest which can fit into the stock production valve notch.

S.I. part numbers #3056SG intake valves 2.125" diameter and #6003SG exhaust valves 1.770" diameter.
They are NOT for a Ford but, ARE the correct size & length.

www.sivalves.com

EDIT: A "custom" camshaft is the only way to get you what is needed and it's only about $18.00 more.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im cool with custom, but where do i need to be as far as lift, duration, overlap and icl? I guess that was what i was really looking to find out to start with, because im not sure what lift range would be acceptable with such a combination. I understand it depends on where my particular set of heads would flow the best, but without a flowbench i wont know either, therefore anyones experience with a similar combination would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
10,855 Posts
im cool with custom, but where do i need to be as far as lift, duration, overlap and icl? I guess that was what i was really looking to find out to start with, because im not sure what lift range would be acceptable with such a combination. I understand it depends on where my particular set of heads would flow the best, but without a flowbench i wont know either, therefore anyones experience with a similar combination would be greatly appreciated.
All those cam numbers mean almost nothing for a "custom" camshaft, (except to get you in the biggest ballpark), as it's more about the PROFILE of the lobes as in acceleration, velocity, jerk, RPM limit and most of all, how it acts in that particular vehicle. The camshaft is the LAST item to be decided upon if you intend to get it right and it will depend upon the rest of the set-up; (engine AND vehicle).

240° @.050" can be rather mundane or act like a really big cam depending upon the aggressiveness of the profile.
I guess you'll just have to pick a vendor and somewhat trust who you get it from, to do it right.
People in that business, myself included, don't simply "give" that exact information away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.