460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am going be building a 460 and i cant decide on the camshaft i should to use. The engine will have DOVE heads, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 750 Carb (or double pumper?), roller rockers, bored .030 over, and 10 to 1 compression. Itll be going in a 1990 F150 with 3.77 gears, 31 inch tires, and SROD 4 speed transmission. I have been thinking Lunati Voodoo Camshafts 10340702 and COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts 34-247-4? Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
516 Posts
What are you going to use the truck for? Daily driver? If you are going to use it for any use other than max throttle, the Stealth intake manifold is the wrong manifold. Do a search.

Are the heads going to be ported? Big valved?

Again, your use of the truck has a lot to do with camshaft choice. As does the airflow of the heads.

The intended RPM usage of the engine has a lot to do with camshaft choice. The more RPM's your going to use, the more intake/ exhaust duration split you need what with the restrictive exhaust ports.

If I was in the market for a camshaft, I would get together with a vendor on this site and get a camshaft specific to my build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you going to use the truck for? Daily driver? If you are going to use it for any use other than max throttle, the Stealth intake manifold is the wrong manifold. Do a search.

Are the heads going to be ported? Big valved?

Again, your use of the truck has a lot to do with camshaft choice. As does the airflow of the heads.

The intended RPM usage of the engine has a lot to do with camshaft choice. The more RPM's your going to use, the more intake/ exhaust duration split you need what with the restrictive exhaust ports.

If I was in the market for a camshaft, I would get together with a vendor on this site and get a camshaft specific to my build.
The truck will be more for fun and not a daily driver but it will be more for on the street. The heads are stock with stock valve size and not ported. And for the intake manifold,would an Edelbrock Performer work better im looking for more low end power since the truck will be for street use.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The Edelbrock Performer intake will work well.

Use a distributor with a proper advance curve.

Use headers with 2 1/2" duals and a "H" pipe.

Custom cam or probably the Voodoo 219*/227* cam. The reason for the custom cam would be for more exhaust duration than the Voodoo offers. The stock cam had a 13* split so as to let the cylinder pressure bleed off more due to the restrictive exhaust ports.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Edelbrock Performer intake will work well.

Use a distributor with a proper advance curve.

Use headers with 2 1/2" duals and a "H" pipe.

Custom cam or probably the Voodoo 219*/227* cam. The reason for the custom cam would be for more exhaust duration than the Voodoo offers. The stock cam had a 13* split so as to let the cylinder pressure bleed off more due to the restrictive exhaust ports.
I was thinking about using 1.73 ratio rockers, how would that affect the lift of the valves? Would it be worth getting 1.73 ratio rockers?
Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts