460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a real world lesson in choosing the right camshaft for your engine. I had a lifter failure which also damaged the cam lobe. Its toward the end of the season (for me anyway) so I decided to put in an older hydraulic flat tappet cam that I had laying around. The cam that had the lifter failure was a roller that was spected for me and bought from a member on this board (Scotty) It worked great I might add. That was the only change I made to the engine. Yesterday in the 1/8 mile it lost .4 to .5 and 10 miles per hour. I now refer to it as a turd. Before 6.60's at 106 to 107 now 7.10 to 7.20 at 96 to 97 mph. It idles nicer sure, but sure ain't as much fun. This is a pump gas engine.:( I guess now I am an official member of the "just wait till next year racing club" :)

· Registered
10,855 Posts
Here is a real world lesson in choosing the right camshaft for your engine. I had a lifter failure which also damaged the cam lobe. Its toward the end of the season (for me anyway) so I decided to put in an older hydraulic flat tappet cam that I had laying around. The cam that had the lifter failure was a roller that was spected for me and bought from a member on this board (Scotty) It worked great I might add. That was the only change I made to the engine. Yesterday in the 1/8 mile it lost .4 to .5 and 10 miles per hour. I now refer to it as a turd. Before 6.60's at 106 to 107 now 7.10 to 7.20 at 96 to 97 mph. It idles nicer sure, but sure ain't as much fun. This is a pump gas engine.:( I guess now I am an official member of the "just wait till next year racing club" :)
A lifter failure with a roller and you ONLY had to put a different cam in it...?
You got real lucky!!!

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did

A lifter failure with a roller and you ONLY had to put a different cam in it...?
You got real lucky!!!
For a change.:) I heard what I thought to be a noisey lifter after my second pass at Pinks Allout and thought I better check the clearances. The bad one was real loose and they just don't get that much out of adjustment with the Jomar stud girdle on it. So I parked it, good thing too as the cam is repairable and nothing else broke. I didn't even get any rollers in the pan when I pulled it off for inspection. Don't know why it happened but lots of real slow driving at the "Back to the 50's" car show in St Paul. It looked like the roller bearings just kinda crushed and the roller stopped. :(

· Registered
21 Posts
For a change.:) I heard what I thought to be a noisey lifter after my second pass at Pinks Allout and thought I better check the clearances. The bad one was real loose and they just don't get that much out of adjustment with the Jomar stud girdle on it. So I parked it, good thing too as the cam is repairable and nothing else broke. I didn't even get any rollers in the pan when I pulled it off for inspection. Don't know why it happened but lots of real slow driving at the "Back to the 50's" car show in St Paul. It looked like the roller bearings just kinda crushed and the roller stopped. :(
Same happened to me
Lucky just had to give the cam a little lick and put new lifters in
Now im overkill with clearance checking
Just caught another lifter going recently

· Registered
386 Posts
Same here this past fall. Mine wiped a cam lobe. A second lifter was hanging up we found on tear down. Talked with my machine shop and they claimed the Com Cams solid roller lifters were weak and they'd had several engines come thru recently with the same failures. They recommended Crower and I switched. Hope these hold up better.

· Administrator
5,120 Posts
I use a Lunati solid roller cam and lifters. I've never had an issue. I run a comp cams stud girdle with them as well and the old Crane Gold race roller rockers. I check the adjustment from time to time and ever since the initial adjustment after the motor break in I've never had to readjust them. Don't know why... Maybe I just don't run it enough. They are always fine and dont clatter at all.

· Registered
140 Posts
dont feel bad about not racing it seems like i cant even make it to test an tune last year i blowed my motor this year im breaking trans mounts an twisting driveshafts on the street racing lil imports sure im winning lol but i dont like spending money on broken stuff i got to go in the garge today because i broke ring an pinion but it will be fixed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.