460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It is a CAT motor in a 621 scraper. My brother and his friend are pulling it out and trying to decide what to replace it with. This is one wierd motor. 8)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
schmitty,
Get ahold of Don Beckstrom in Carroll,Iowa, 712-792-1015. he's a Cat guy from way back. I'll bet he can tell you what to replace it with.

·
Registered
400 Posts
it is a d-336 4.5" bore and 5.5" stroke with dual overhead cams. most guys pull them out and put 3406's back in their places. the 3406 has more torque and is easier to opperate.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
fastbarry said:
it is a d-336 4.5" bore and 5.5" stroke with dual overhead cams. most guys pull them out and put 3406's back in their places. the 3406 has more torque and is easier to opperate.
Is the 3406 about the same overall length?

·
Registered
400 Posts
3406 is longer, i am not sure by how much though. another option is a 3306 which would be a little shorter. alot of d336's died an early death. one problem that htey had was overheating easily and cracking the heads.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told that there was another motor similar to the D336, maybe 360 or 380 or something like that, and this could be that motor also. I know it is one wierd motor 60* V8 with DOHC split heads. It looks like a nightmare on roids. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: cat engine

aaron said:
schmitty is that a 3208
I wish, they are as abundant as corn here. I wondered about that for a swap though, but it would be way short on power I think. 8)

·
Registered
117 Posts
cat engine

schmitty is there any serial numbers on the block. If there is give them to me. I'll find out

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
serial number is 23H1917

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a 60* V8 motor, so no 3208 or 3408. It is either the D336 or a derivitave of it. 8)

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is the old "D".

A few things to look at, accessory pumps on the flywheel housing and oil coolers.

You might run into issues with those pumps. We ran into that looking to get rid of a D346 once. Seems like it had 5 or 6 pumps back
there, and we couldn't find anything 'up to date' that we could configure that way without being EXPENSIVE.

The later 621's run a 3406 wich is easy to find and will be enough power, but again accessory drives on the back are an issue.

The trans oil cooler is on the engine on those. Available, but pricey as all that stuff is 'industrial' and on a different price base.

Look that stuff over and see if its feasable.

One of the aftermarket parts guys we worked with in Indianapolis turned out to be reasonable enough on parts (and could actually
find 'em) we just rebuilt ours. It's really hard to justify puttin' money in an engine that old. If it winds up you have to go that way and
you want his info, drop me a PM -

Good luck Schmitty

Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts