460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks!
I'm absolutely stumped. About a month ago, I reinstalled my 351w into my '82 LTD... I was able to find rear main seals for sale all over the place, but when the engine was out, I could not find where the rear main seal was supposed to go for the life of me. It runs fantastic, and is still mostly full of oil. Although there is a small oil leak coming from between the engine and transmission... It was leaking before, but I just reinstalled it anyway... See the picture of what I mean... That leak screams rear main seal to me, but where is it!? All the seals listed online were 2 piece seals...
IMPORTANT: The attached pic is NOT my engine. It's a pic of the internet but it's IDENTICAL to what my engine looked like...
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

·
Registered
491 Posts
HI, I don't see an oil from the main seal.. It would leak Down onto the pan not up on the back of the motor.. you have to pull the pan and remove the rear main cap to access the rear seal.. the front main is the same type you have to pull the pan and the main cap to access the main seals.. you may be thinking of the crank seal in the timing chain cover it is pressed into the cover.. But crank main seals are IN the front and rear main caps..
good luck
tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks guys for the info. I actually did a partial rebuild on this engine, and there's a brand new front seal... The leak is absolutely not worth fixing if I have to pull main caps, but I figured I should find out if something was missing, causing a leak... It's an awfully peculiar design, and something I'm not going to attempt in the foreseeable future. On this motor anyway... Regardless, I really do appreciate the input, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
491 Posts
HI, Just thought.. WE CaN't help you address your problem if you show us a picture of NOT your motor. If you did the front main You should know about the R & R of the rear?? Unless you meant you did the crank seal that is round and pressed into the timing chain cover? Not the same as the mains..
Tho Not your motor what I see in that picture is maybe the rear intake seal leaking a known Problem.. oil flows like water down hill... not Up ..
good luck
tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts