460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt the 460 in my 78 Lincoln town car, currently have engine mounted and have trans on jack. Have tried every angle, been at it multiple nights at a complete loss. It's like the flexplate is too low. When engine/trans all lined up, flexplate hangs below the bellhousing. If flexplate set in bottom of bellhousing, trans still need to come up about an inch and teeth hit sides toward the top. I put the converter bolt access plate on and the flexplate is actually below bottom of the plate. This just cant be right, original block, flexplate and trans. What am I missing here, any tips?
Thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
Find yourself a couple of 3" long bolts that fit in the block. Cut the heads off and use them as guides to the trans/block. Put them on the sides by the block dowels.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Another thing(s) to look at/for. If you installed a remanufactured crank shaft, make sure the rear pilot fits the pilot of your torque converter and if you replaced the torque converter, make sure it will fit into crank shaft pilot hole. What is the O.D. of the flex plate? Should be about 14.25" with 164 teeth

·
Registered
160 Posts
Remove the engine from the car and mount the trans to the engine outside the car. This gives you more access and better viewing angles to see exactly what is going on. If there really is a mismatch this will make it easier to see. Even if you can’t get the engine/trans in as a unit this will confirm if there is an issue or not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll 3rd Dacofa... btw SBC head bolts work well for this. 😁

And, sliding the assembled eng./trans in usually works better than separate. Helps if you have a spare yoke and speedo cable stub to plug the tranny holes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'll 3rd Dacofa... btw SBC head bolts work well for this. 😁

And, sliding the assembled eng./trans in usually works better than separate. Helps if you have a spare yoke and speedo cable stub to plug the tranny holes.
Always much easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Putting together outside the car will be the next step if I'm wrong, but I think I can see pretty good what's going on and got enough room. Backing plate is on the pins and I'm using threaded rod to line up and nuts to try and pull things together. I'm pretty sure the machine shop swapped my flexplate. They reconditioned crank and rods and balanced with flexplate for new pistons, I'm internal balance. I actually missed picking up the flexplate when I grabbed everything and had to go back for it a week later. It is one of those machine shops with crap just laying around everywhere.

Is the 14.25" diameter measured outside the teeth? Mine is 15.5". So I would need 7.75" clearance from center of converter, I only have 7.25" clearance from center of converter to inside bottom and sides of housing. I did previously test fit the converter to the crank/flexplate and was good. Is there a ford combo that uses larger flexplate/housing and same converter? I'm just going to buy one of those zero balance sfi flexplates they are pretty cheap.

A few photos with eng/trans lined up
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

Crankset Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Photos with guide rods removed and flexplate in bottom of trans

Automotive tire Wheel Bumper Tints and shades Train

Helmet Automotive tire Rim Headgear Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
446 Posts
What is your flexplate tooth count? That looks like a 176/184 on a 164 trans bellhousing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
DO NOT USE NUTS ON THREADED ROD!!!!! ...nor bolts to 'pull it together'.
...you could snap an ear off that cast aluminum trans housing...$!

And... yes, the 2nd photo shows wrong flexplate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts