460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to this site with the express purpose of learning as much as I could in a roughly 2-3 month period. I have learned much, however my tactics have seemed to draw "Lightning". I am sorry about this but I have learned in Insurance/Real Estate that you cant make everyone happy. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I want to thank all those whom have selflessly sacrificed their time and freely given their opinions based on hard won experience.

God has seen fit to present me with both adversity and opportunity in my life. I am finishing college for the 2nd time which I'm paying for out of pocket. I also am working with others to rehab a forclosed property this may be my "new home" or my 1st investment property. Once I can get a job in my new field I will have more disposible income.This has set my plans back.Hope to build/race/show in the next 2-3 years. :D :D

GOD Bless YOU and Keep You

Mike T. aka 511Fox

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The problem I saw with your posts was:

1. LOTS of posts asking pretty much the same questions over and over.

2. Seeking answers for questions that may not be true 3 years from now. (Nitrous vs. Cent. blower)

3. Seeking answers without thoroughly researching this site (and others) first.

I've been around web forums a long time and I get a little irritated at folks who pop up, ask a zillion questions, usually about outrageous engine/chassis combinations, with little or no intention of ever following through (or even beginning) a project. It seems no different to me than the Chester that pops up at the drags or wherever, talking about the 454 Pontiac Hemi he has that was factory installed in his '74 Ventura.

My advice to ALL forum newbies is:

First: USE THE SEARCH

Second: See First

Third: See Second

Fourth: See Third

Fifth: Post a question.

Good luck on your future project.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Search Tips

The Search function on this board really does work wonders, but only if you use it right.

For the non-computer geek, this isn't as easy as it looks.

The given instructions next to the search box are often overlooked, or completely misunderstood.

You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches
If my Father was reading this the only thing this instruction would do is generate a question like "Where is the AND button? I found the END button, but when I push it it says 1. But, if I push the other END button, the thing jumps off the page. I don't get it. " :shock:

So, for example, if you were searching for information on the maximum power a factory or stock block can handle, a possible search term would be...

stock and block and *power and ma* and handle or take

*ower could be power or might be horsepower
ma* could be max or maximum

Try that search term. It returns 28 hits, most of which are applicable. Try removing one or more words and try again; it'll return more hits because the filter is not as strict.

Having search is a fantastic resource, but it does take a bit of practice to learn how to generate filters that don't return frustrating results. If you use a too general search term like "horsepower", you'll spend a lifetime trying to find your answer to the above question, become frustrated, and make a duplicate post thinking the information has not been discussed.

Anyway, good luck with it,

Byron

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
2-3 months..

2 or 3 months. :roll: I have been playing with cars for 20 or 30 years, and I still don't know what the heck I'm doing. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Byron,

Your info on searching should be a sticky. I've tried that sucker & always get frustrated.

I think one of the reasons people were getting frustrated with 511Fox is that he was asking pie in the sky questions with no relevance it seemed. He might have had a thought process, but it isn't easily seen over the internet.

I like to answer questions when I think the knowlege will be used. I do it at work. If the same guy asks how to build a pole line up a hill, but isn't working on a hill job, I quickly get frustrated, as my time is valuable. When responding, you like to think your info is going to be used.

Don't take offense Mike, We are all new to this stuff at one time or another. I'm always learning something.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
couple thoughts...

Thanks for the tutorial on using the search! That makes it so much easier to understand than someone telling me to search for previous posts.

As far as unrealistic dreams or plans that may not happen for 2-3 years due to one being educated or budgeting for it MAY be contributed somewhat to the average newbies first questions being replied to with an answer of "build a stroker" or "buy these heads because what you have is no good"... or similar responses. I remember asking some of my first questions about putting together a 429... and something along the lines of "a free 31 cubic inches" comes to mind. A few folks pm'd me to give me some advice to help with the plans I originally had, and I remember them and appreciate and pay attention to their advice. Unfortunately, I have yet to find the "free 31 cubes", but have found that a couple very polite guys in Colorado and Arizona offered me a decent 460 crank for a decent price, if I chose to go that route. Sometimes, plans change... heck, I have picked up 3 different cars to choose from to make my project since I found this site 9 months ago, and none of them are fox bodies, which is what 85% of the people recommend I get instead, because my cars are too heavy.

Before we scare someone off that has some wild ideas... maybe we should think about how they got so wild?

Tom

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Use the AND function

Search for: adjusting AND valves

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Nice tips on the search function.

Just for kicks I typed in "bull and crap" and Bri's pic came up. :shock: :lol:

just kidding man. :p

I think I've used the search function a few times. Danny C always has the right link handy too. Either he has a photographic memory or he uses that search function like a pro and unselfishly.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
JSracing said:
Danny C always has the right link handy too. Either he has a photographic memory or he uses that search function like a pro and unselfishly.
He's the 460ford.com Search Ninja.

:!:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mike,

These guys are about the best it is when it comes to discussing an issue until it's distilled to its essence. The key there is "discuss things". And we hate polls. Polls are what teenagers use to figure out which store to hang out in front of at the mall. Besides, engines are complex systems with lots of conditional "stuff" involved. Not something that can be handled with a two- or three-question poll.

I enjoyed your first post because you were asking questions, and good ones. We can, and will, answer all the questions you have. So.. ask away. Just lay off the polls, okay? If you want to learn then ask a question and listen. When you finish digesting that answer, use the information to progress to the next logical question. Just don't keep asking the same thing over and over again hoping the answer is somehow going to change. It won't.

I am sorry about this but I have learned in Insurance/Real Estate that you cant make everyone happy.
From a full-time real estate agent, a bit of advice. You're right about not making everyone happy. You won't. But you need to know the difference between "not making everyone happy" and "turning everyone off". One is life and there's nothing you can do about it. The other is self-induced and usually the result of not paying attention to your social environs. Start paying attention to the responses of those around you. When everyone starts to roll their eyes and walk away it's time to back off and regroup.

Seems like you have plenty of enthusiasm. That's good. We can work with that. I strongly suggest spending a little time reading the forum. You're going to see the same questions come up over, and over, and over again. Most of the questions deal with everyday builds, what-ifs, and general knowledge of the 429/460 family. Get yourself acquainted - it won't take long. You'll have at least a basic grasp of things in no time.

Then ask away and we'll do what we can to get you up to speed. :D

Brad

p.s. - did I mention lay off the polls? :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts