460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy 72 Ranchero stock frame and supention with big sway bar in back running 11.40 et @ 116 mph. Well the car has a slight sway in the back from left to right that starts at 1/8 mile to the end of the 1/4. Running M/T Drag radials with 14 lbs. Is this some what normal?

·
Registered
211 Posts
my truck does the same thing, *** end feels like it is goin side to side its very weird feeling, and we are running about the same et... I have played with tire pressure etc and it still does it I run 31x16.50 m/t et streets with 12lbs air stock frame with 3 link ladder bar and coil overs

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my truck does the same thing, *** end feels like it is goin side to side its very weird feeling, and we are running about the same et... I have played with tire pressure etc and it still does it I run 31x16.50 m/t et streets with 12lbs air stock frame with 3 link ladder bar and coil overs
I'm running M/T drag radials 275/50/15 with 4.30 gears with 575 hp to the rear wheels and I am wondering if the rear tires are still slipping alittle. I'm new to this and having a ball doing it.:D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
try some where near 18-20lbs air pressure in the rear tires. The side wall can't handle it. Also call Carl Robinson at Mickey Thompson and see what he says

Ace

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
What kind of tires do you have on the front of the car radial or bias?I have MT Et Street Bias tires on my car and had radials on the front.It would sway in the back sometimes on certain roads.I changed to MT Sportsman bias on the front and no more problem.It's not good to mix radials and bias tires.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
194 Posts
try some where near 18-20lbs air pressure in the rear tires. The side wall can't handle it. Also call Carl Robinson at Mickey Thompson and see what he says

Ace
I agree. 14psi seems low for a DR. I run the same tires and start with 20, then drop depending on track conditions. Don't think I've ever run less than 17 tho.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What width wheel are you using?Since you are new at this,are you sure the car is staying "in the grove" all the way down tyhe track.Get video from the starting line.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What kind of tires do you have on the front of the car radial or bias?I have MT Et Street Bias tires on my car and had radials on the front.It would sway in the back sometimes on certain roads.I changed to MT Sportsman bias on the front and no more problem.It's not good to mix radials and bias tires.

Later Mark.
I never thought of that for my situation, et streets are bias and i run good year regatta tires up front they are radials

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ran the car today and ran 15 lbs in both tires, but increased the pressure in the rear air bags on both tires. Big difference, I picked up .20 and the tires have a much better hit pattern. Car ran straight down the track.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts