460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car stalled a few times at a low steady cruise today. Outside air was 87 and engine temp 190'ish. Checking carb and found vapor coming out of the front bowl vent which I have never seen before. Anyway as the video shows when I put my finger over the vent tube it shot fuel out and the engine stalled. Mechanical pump with 6-7 psi and fuel level is correct. The secondaries do not do this. Am I boiling fuel here or is the pump sucking air from someplace?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Float bowls were at the proper level no aeration through the large sight glasses that I could see and the carb itself was warm but not hot. The stainless steel braided fuel line and in-line aluminum filter were extremely hot to the point I could not keep my hand on it. The next day started it up everything was fine including putting my finger over the vent and nothing happened. Took it for a drive and after it got heat soaked it started doing the same thing. not sure why it’s not doing it on the secondaries but I’m pretty sure I narrowed it down to the gas which I bought at a different station than I normally do and I no longer have the composite 1 inch carb spacer. This places the in-line fuel filter just touching the top of the radiator hose. I ordered a 1 inch four hole spacer and give that try. I will post back with results.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crab spacer cured the fuel boiling issue however, the engine does not like it. Tip in almost feels like its missing and sluggish to about 2500 rpms. This is a straight cut 4 hole so I will put my open spacer on and try opening the 4 hole up like a power cone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts