460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When switching from Perf RPM intake to Torker 2, will my current 850dp Holley be too large due to the way a single plane "sees" the whole carb? Or will it be alright after dialing it back in?

Currently jetted at 83 square and was running well with RPM intake on this combo, 466 with '68 style small dish pistons,/stock valve size D3 heads exhaust ported,.226/.230-.520/.530 cam,1-7/8 headers,C6 w/2500 stall,3:89 gears in '73 Mach1

thanks
Rick

· Registered
10,855 Posts
When switching from Perf RPM intake to Torker 2, will my current 850dp Holley be too large due to the way a single plane "sees" the whole carb? Or will it be alright after dialing it back in?

Currently jetted at 83 square and was running well with RPM intake on this combo, 466 with '68 style small dish pistons,/stock valve size D3 heads exhaust ported,.226/.230-.520/.530 cam,1-7/8 headers,C6 w/2500 stall,3:89 gears in '73 Mach1

thanks
Rick
IF the engine underneath the manifolds remains the same, the dual-plane can use a larger carburetor. With that mild engine combo, the TorquerII most likely could use a smaller carburetor.

If hood clearance isn't an issue then I really don't understand this change. You will gain power in the upper 500 RPM, be the same above 3,500 RPM and lose torque everywhere else.

· Administrator
5,120 Posts
IF the engine underneath the manifolds remains the same, the dual-plane can use a larger carburetor. With that mild engine combo you could most likely use a smaler carburetor.

If hood clearance isn't an issue then I really don't understand this change. You will gain power in the upper 500 RPM, be the same above 3,500 RPM and lose torque everywhere else.
X2

The Performer RPM is a much better intake for what you are running. It is a more modern design. The only reason that I could see you switching is for hood clearance. Other than that the RPM is the better choice for your build.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just looking to maximize what I've got here. This is no longer a car I am concerned about street manners or driveablity. It has a compromised setup for suspension anyway so having a huge abundance of low end isnt really a big help. I figured the single plane would move the power band up a bit.

thanks
Rick

· Registered
10,855 Posts
Just looking to maximize what I've got here. This is no longer a car I am concerned about street manners or driveablity. It has a compromised setup for suspension anyway so having a huge abundance of low end isnt really a big help. I figured the single plane would move the power band up a bit.

thanks
Rick
It would DO that if that's what you want ... with that mild cam you wouln't gain much upstairs but lose a LOT on the bottom. I would go with an "Air-Gap" though; it has slightly larger runners.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking to shift powerband up a bit

thanks guys,

I run a 26x10 slick and with the 2500 stall/3:89 gears the car has been traction limited and I could've used a few more rpm at the end of the track too.
This was my line of thinking going with the Torker2 which I had done some searching on here and many folks suggested it as as a good in between intake.
Camshaft is Crane "Saturday Night Special" H288 with .226/230 .522/.530 with 112 lobe separation set straight up..listed basic rpm range 2500-5500

Rick

· Registered
2,672 Posts

thanks
Rick
If you're looking to maximize, then first uncompromise the suspension, and get it working. You'll find more gains there.

Your engine combo is good for the components you have on it and in it. The Torquer II is not for your current combo. As Randy stated, you'll lose a bunch of torque in the lower rpms, and when the manifold wants to start working, your cam will be quitting, so it's a lose-lose situation.

After getting the suspension sorted out, and you decide to install the Torquer II, do a camshaft/converter/gearing/tire, which will dictate more suspension sorting out.

It never ends. :D

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.