460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to send my engine to the shop to be dynoed, I need to figure out what carb would be best and was hoping to get some expert opinions. its a 9.9 to 1 521ci with fully ported D0VE heads and torker II intake. The engine is going in a 2wd 79 f350 with a c6 auto, would a vacuum secondary carb be better than mechanical? Also I was thinking a choke would be nice since I will drive it occasionally in the winter. I was looking at the quickfuel ss-880-vs, is that enough carb for my application?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If you go mechanical the APD carbs are hard to beat IMO, throttle response is amazing and they build it to suit your engine.

Cheers, Bob

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Given the modest cam timing. Gee that looks familiar :D

850 cfm is more than adequate. If you are running a bit of stall a mechanical secondary carb is fine.

Vac secondary carbs with choke and proper secondary tuning are good as well.

SJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah scotty its taken a lot longer than id hoped to get this thing finished but every time i think ive got the money to finish it something more important comes up. im not sure what converter to run, is it best to put it on a dyno before choosing a converter? its just mainly going to be a street cruiser, i think it weighs between 4500 and 5000lb.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Every VS carb I've dyno'd has been down on power relative to a DP. That said, VS can and do work well on the street.

Stall speed in a street application is more a function of gearing and conditions. You want to keep the stall speed lower than your cruising rpm.

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Carl makes a good point about the mechanical vs. vac carbs which I was too lazy to address.

Shoot me an email with dyno numbers, gearing and tire height etc. I am direct with transtar daaco and can source a reasonably priced converter. Glad to see it coming together.

SJ

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, ill try that once its in the truck we ran out of time on the dyno because they had some issues with some of their equipment. I also havent recurved the distributor, its as it came from msd out of the box.

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Ok, ill try that once its in the truck we ran out of time on the dyno because they had some issues with some of their equipment. I also havent recurved the distributor, its as it came from msd out of the box.

As delivered the MSD distributor has a very lazy curve.

Install the black bushing, use one light silver and one light blue spring and set total timing to 34 / 35* at 3000 rpm.

The increase in power will be notable...

SJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've got about 500 miles of normal driving on the truck and it runs great. I figured I'd pull a plug just for the heck of it to see what it looks like, I'm a little lost on how to read plugs. I've read that unleaded gas doesnt really show color like leaded gas did, does this look ok or do I need to change something?

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts