460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1973 Mercury Marquis Wagon with the 460, dead stock, and will remain so, short of a straight-up timing set when the time comes. I am in need of a replacement carb, as attempts to rebuild the original Motorcraft 4300 have failed.

What is the recommended Holley replacement for this engine? I want to retain the factory air cleaner.

I am looking at the Holley 4150 "Street Avenger" 770, or the 4160, Holley part # 0-80459SA 750.
Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
I have a 1973 Mercury Marquis Wagon with the 460, dead stock, and will remain so, short of a straight-up timing set when the time comes. I am in need of a replacement carb, as attempts to rebuild the original Motorcraft 4300 have failed.

What is the recommended Holley replacement for this engine? I want to retain the factory air cleaner.

I am looking at the Holley 4150 "Street Avenger" 770, or the 4160, Holley part # 0-80459SA 750.
Appreciate any suggestions.
We avoid the Avenger series carbs due to issues created for 50 states emissions compliance. Idle feed restrictor is too small creating a lean condition during transition which Holley tried to cover up with more accel pump shot and a different cam.

The standard 750 vac secondary with ford kick down or even better a 600 would work for the near stock engine in a 5K pound wagon.

Straight up timing set

Properly sorted ignition curve as the oem curve was for emissions not efficiency and torque.

Vehicle will run notably better.

S

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
First of all, thank you for the reply.

So would the Holley#0-80457SA 600 CFM be the better choice?

In this case yes.

Make sure to sort out the advance curve as well after setting cam timing straight up.

S

·
Registered
357 Posts
I know that I'll get flamed for this post but I run a Summit Racing carb which is a Holley knock-off. It's 750 cfm w/ vacuum secondaries and I had it on my engine for over 5 years without any problems right out of the box. You might want to look into this as a good carb and a good price.
J.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
I know that I'll get flamed for this post but I run a Summit Racing carb which is a Holley knock-off. It's 750 cfm w/ vacuum secondaries and I had it on my engine for over 5 years without any problems right out of the box. You might want to look into this as a good carb and a good price.
J.

I have received good feedback on that particular carb many times John. I feel that for this specific stock application a 600 cfm carburetor would provide better seat of the pants feel in that 5K# cow of a station wagon.

S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts