460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys.. I need some feed back. I just got my TrickFlow "Mafia" intake today from Lem Evans (It is back on a delivery truck down to NitroPlate in Nashville to get coated). Now I am going to be needing a Dominator style carb. All my stuff I have had so far has been 4150 style. What brands do you guys like. I have been using Quick Fuel stuff for the last 7 or 8 years and have always been real happy with it. I just wondered what your thoughts were on this subject. I have a bunch of parts up for sale now (on eBay) and as soon as they are gone I'm going to buy something so I'm trying to do the research now. Let me know what you think.

And Just in case you don't already know..

I'll be drag racing a 1993 Mustang. 13.3:1 compression M-6049-A429 headed 521 cid motor with a C6 with transbrake.

Thanks in advance for your been there done that experience!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Chris there was a carb shootout where AED carbs in the small block class won "out of the box" contest and come 2nd overall with "tune" contest.

Now in the big block class AED won both the "out of the box" and "tuned "contest...........thats pretty good going i think, there were about 12 other brands there i think including qft, blp, cfm, braswell, holley etc

All in all there was only 8hp difference between the top 8 carb builders in which AED come out on top in the bb class.

Personally i have a pro systems 4150 carb and im happy with it, my buddy recenctly ordered a pro system dominator 1050 and went to the track where orginal holley 1050 dominator it ran 10.72 best at 124.22mph, and same day swaped it with the prosystem one and ran 10.61 at 125.57mph, then with a jet change it went 10.52 at 126.83mph.

Hope this helps, but i think you will be ok with any of the top brands.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
OK guys.. I need some feed back. I just got my TrickFlow "Mafia" intake today from Lem Evans (It is back on a delivery truck down to NitroPlate in Nashville to get coated). Now I am going to be needing a Dominator style carb. All my stuff I have had so far has been 4150 style. What brands do you guys like. I have been using Quick Fuel stuff for the last 7 or 8 years and have always been real happy with it. I just wondered what your thoughts were on this subject. I have a bunch of parts up for sale now (on eBay) and as soon as they are gone I'm going to buy something so I'm trying to do the research now. Let me know what you think.

And Just in case you don't already know..

I'll be drag racing a 1993 Mustang. 13.3:1 compression M-6049-A429 headed 521 cid motor with a C6 with transbrake.

Thanks in advance for your been there done that experience!
------------------------------------------------------------------

I've used 30 plus prosystems carbs, no problems they have worked great ,and made better numbers over anything we replaced with them

·
Registered
716 Posts
X2 for AED.

i got them to build me a mainbody and rework my metering blocks on my 850 holley to turn it into a 1000. on the dyno straight form them i only had to go up ONE jet size from out of the box due to running just a tad lean, thats it. they currently are doing a full work-over of our 1250 dommy making it into a 1400 for our A-headed 600ci motor.

those guys have top notch customer service and take the time to answer any questions, no matter how stupid. ithey dont have that "inconvenienced" attitude that most other performance places have when your only asking a simple question or wanting a status update.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK.. I'm now doing my due dilligence. I just filled out the form on the Pro Systems website. We will see what they recommend and what the price comes out to be. The AED's also look good but I hate the DiChromate finish. For that kind of money it HAS to be shiney!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
How much "Shiney" can you see under an air cleaner going down the strip? Lol

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much "Shiney" can you see under an air cleaner going down the strip? Lol
I'll get a price from them as well. It isn't the shiney that you can see going down the track. It's the shiney that you see standing around the work shop with your buddies drinking beer that counts!

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Chris... CALL ME!

I can help you out BIG TIME on this.... ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
My two cents

I had been Rons injection and everyone raved about Patrick and Pro-systems carbs so I decided to sell and try his 1050 and regulator with a vacuum sence. Note this was a Alky set-up. Out of the box it was way lean and once the engine heated up a little the idle would go up and create more heat in the motor. We went through about 20 gals of Alky in the driveway just trying to get it sorted out NO DICE.. Caledl my engine builder and delivered the car to him to help adjust and after many phone calls to Pro-systems they advised my engine builder to start drilling the metering blocks. We were able to get it close and able to make passes down the track. I had Prosystem (Patrick) personal cell number and called for advise/help while at the track and short version of the phone call was we were doing something wrong and he couldn't do anything more for us. We pulled the carb off and sent Pro systems carb to APD pulled it out of the box and set the idle and picked up 2 tenths.. Getting off my soap box now.. My suggestion is if your running gas Pro-systems carbs may be good but not impressed with his ALKY carb.. Again this is my two cents and my opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pro-systems

I ordered a 1150 dominator from pro-systems upon arrival the back needle was stuck. Then i had a leak that i could not find, so i called patrick he advised me to take the metering block off and to jb weld the bottom hole on the metering block. My reply was i didnt pay 1100 for a piece of crap that i have to jb weld.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh... The plot thickens. I appreciate the honest responses about your experiences. It is most helpful. I filled out the Pro-Systems form to see what carb they would recommend. I just got a reply back from Partick James. I'm guessing that is the Patrick that was mentioned.

...I'm with you. I wouldn't want to put JB Weld on my brand new $1100.00 dollar carb either.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Pro Systems A+

I own two, a friend owns two, another friend owns one. That's five carbs.
All happy with them. Excellent customer service if you need it.
I don't run that fast, but my friend ran 10's with his, picked up a bunch from his other carb, (410 small block mopar).

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do companies like AED, PRO Systems...etc provide some kind of "tricks" to their "custom" carbs to make more power than say a stock carb that is dialed in correctly?

Or do they simply change normal stuff like jets, pump cams, squirters, bleeds etc to match the expected power potential of the customers vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The way I understand it they basically build a carbuerator to match the motor that you have so you will have more power right out of the box. Unlike just ordering a Holley 850 Double Pumper that is a one size fits all carb. It then becomes up to the user to dial it into the motor as far as jetting and other things. Most of the higher end carbs also have things like hand polished venturies and other more labor intensive/expensive parts in them as well to help make more power.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Do companies like AED, PRO Systems...etc provide some kind of "tricks" to their "custom" carbs to make more power than say a stock carb that is dialed in correctly?

Or do they simply change normal stuff like jets, pump cams, squirters, bleeds etc to match the expected power potential of the customers vehicle?
Maybe a little bit of explanation from Patrick James of Prosystems from an email between him and me:

"Just like porting heads for the amount of air and fuel volume that is flowing through them...you do the same to carburetors.

For example: Too big of a fuel port runner for the application, it will be lazy in shift recovery and throttle response. Too small and it can over fuel down low and be too lean up high. This just scratches the surface. You are basically programming a computer for the engine...there are other mods you can to do offer faster acceleration, driveability and shift recovery mods over a standard carb.

There are mods you can do to get rid of lean launch conditions, lean shift spikes, the list gets pretty extensive. They all add up to make an engine a great running engine versus an engine that just runs.

We will spend time perfecting fuel curves, as slight waves in the fuel curve make engines lose rate of acceleration for example.

What we are doing is just building them to a higher degree of perfection AND we have the advantage in knowing the specific application. So gaining over out of the box is pretty easy for a good tuner and a good tuner can show you a good gain.

A great tuner will have a larger database and give you a great gain."

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I guess its like a custom cam, why go with off the shelf type when for a little extra get what you need and suited to your engine. No guess work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts