460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
yea ill second the 700DP center hung float. put a AVS on it, i ran 2 regular AVS on a blower car i didnt convert them for a blower or anything like that, i tuned them set them and forgot about them they ran great

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well this has been interesting and informative read! I have a dog, but he's sleeping in my lap. Not in any fight.
I DO have a new build going together and had similar questions. 521 cubes, ProComp heads (I know, I know), Performer intake, 10.25:1, [email protected], .560 lift, C6 with a stock "replacement" converter with a 3.73 posi gear.
I found a 0-3310-6 780 CFM vacuum secondary. And I think I'm on the edge of too small. I don't expect to run much past 55-5800 in this thing.
If I WAS going to turn harder, should I start looking for an 850?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well this has been interesting and informative read! I have a dog, but he's sleeping in my lap. Not in any fight.
I DO have a new build going together and had similar questions. 521 cubes, ProComp heads (I know, I know), Performer intake, 10.25:1, [email protected], .560 lift, C6 with a stock "replacement" converter with a 3.73 posi gear.
I found a 0-3310-6 780 CFM vacuum secondary. And I think I'm on the edge of too small. I don't expect to run much past 55-5800 in this thing.
If I WAS going to turn harder, should I start looking for an 850?
3310 would work for both street/mild racing. 850 more toward racing. Personally, I'd lean toward the 850. I thought we were talking about carb size, not dogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi y'all. I finally have the 460 bolted in (see pic. BTW - that's Georgia Bulldog RED and NOT Chevy Orange!) and am getting real close to firing it up for the first time. But my question is about my carb. I have a Holley 4160 at 600 CFM. Everything I've been reading says that this is too small, BUT I'd really like to avoid buying another one if at all possible.

Can anyone offer suggestions? Here are my specs:
  • D3VE heads with a homemade porting job from PO
  • Almost-flat-top pistons with an estimated 9:1 CR
  • Weiand Stealth intake
  • Flowtech headers
  • Mild cam - 486 intake and 512 exhaust lift. 282/292 duration.
And if I choose to stay with the 600 for now? Is it gonna turn all my work into a dog? Or will it be more of a situation where I'm simply not getting full potential?

THANKS!
View attachment 92313
Looks real nice. What did you use for motor mounts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I didn't confirm what Scotty picked. I know what works from doing it for years. DP is easier to dial in as long as you have a idea of how they work. They're not a "bolt on" set up by no means. But then nothing is anymore and each situation is different.
Since yours is a truck, trucks seem to prefer DP carbs. Whatever carb you get, don't just throw it on. Remove the bowls and check for garbage and make sure both butterflies are opening completely via the throttle shaft. I've had to bend several pri/sec rods to make them work right.
Dynos and puters only give you a starting point. Vehicles are real world items that require real world solutions.
I've never worked with a DP before. Better to have someone who's done it before working with me on it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
For the OP.

If your ultimate focus is maximum rpm and peak power then as I mentioned in earlier posts look for a 750.

A double pumper is always going to offer more midrange torque provided it is properly sized. Can be a bit cantankerous with a stock stall convertor too lol.

My comment that the 600 is adequate for now is based on the pic of the engine in a truck and the fact that you have a stealth intake and very mild build. That intake has very large runner cross section and less than stellar part throttle manners. Great at WOT though. The 600 will offer better throttle response due to higher venturi velocity. Again adequate for now.

We typically take our (local) clients vehicles for a test drive after they install our dyno'd engine. There is always a need for fine tuning vs the engine dyno as the operational parameters are different. Some are happy with the sharp throttle response the 600 provides while others are more focused on maximum power an opt for the larger carburetor. This in our truck builds.

For a lighter weight application we default to the 750.

We have a very specific type of carburetor we get from competition carbs in Nevada when dealing with large runner cross section intakes. It is a 650 DP that has modifications to flow 740 cfm while retaining the 650's high booster signal. Throttle response is razor sharp even on a CJ runner intake.

Tell us more about the application and what you expect out of your engine.

A performer intake will offer better drive-ability, transient response and throttled torque than your stealth.

Again if you are primarily focused on maximum power then a 750 vac sec carb with some spring tuning in the secondary will work for you with out the expense of the double pumper.

Hope this helps.

SJ
used 2b RHP

Can't thank enough for this advice. On BOTH sides. Inevitable that there are going to be disagreements when it comes to the testosterone that comes part-and-parcel with a motor like a 460 :)

I stepped away for a bit to finish the build and WOW!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I guess my notifications aren't on because I had no idea there were this many responses., Thanks again everyone! I finally got her started a couple nites ago and ran the 20-30 minute break-in with the Lucas break-in oil. I'm gonna make a separate post on that one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I guess my notifications aren't on because I had no idea there were this many responses., Thanks again everyone! I finally got her started a couple nites ago and ran the 20-30 minute break-in with the Lucas break-in oil. I'm gonna make a separate post on that one.
Was there problems with it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd like to throw another possible carb contender in there: The newer street demons, the ones that don't look like holleys. I think one of those in 750 cfm would be a good choice. Pretty tunable, nice sized fuel bowl capacity, can work on std or spread bore manifolds, and pretty decently priced even new. I won't go on a big technical rant, just look them up. My experience with them is limited to running one on my '71 chevelle with a mild 468 and liking it. By liking, I mean it responded as expected to tuning efforts both in driveability and numbers on my wideband O2 setup.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts