460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna stroke my ford (hee hee). Its real easy to get ahold of a cast steel pro comp scat crank but the forged steel with a stroke of 4.5 is much more expensive and rare. Do I need one? I guess I'm askin how much HP will a cast steel crank support, will it support Nitrous Oxide

·
Registered
476 Posts
The general consenses around here is the cast crank is good to about 800 hp if your tuneup is good. Some are running 900+, but they are seasoned veterans who know their tuneups inside and out. If you're not in a big hurry, the forged cranks are already here, and will becoming more available in a month or 2. The price really isn't that bad, and they generally balance without heavy metal, which brings the price down even more. If you're using OEM heads, and a smaller shot of Noss (I watched The Fast and the Furious so I know how to pronounce it now :D) you will probably be fine with the casting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John

thanks for the info john!

i find forged cranks that are off brand but I can't find a damn scat dealer that sells the 4340 460 forged crank? does anyone know where a guy cou get ahold of one?????

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think Brian Adams from AD Performance had a couple - don't know if he still does. He's a member here, so maybe he'll see this and give you an answer. I think his website is callled ADperformance.com. Check him out.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Re: Thanks John

TheLastStarfighter said:
can't find a damn scat dealer that sells the 4340 460 forged crank?
I talked to Scat last week on another matter. While on the phone I asked about the availability of the forged crank. They said mid-late March is the target street date.

David Cole

·
Registered
295 Posts
Scat doesn't offer one yet ... I've been getting the 30-60 day response for quite sometime now.

Will they have them? Yes.

When? Dunno for sure. Shouldn't be too far off but it's hard to trust Scat's estimates when it's been delayed and delayed and delayed.

When they arrive we will make a post.

Brian

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Noss

John I. said:
If you're using OEM heads, and a smaller shot of Noss (I watched The Fast and the Furious so I know how to pronounce it now :D)
Just in case you didn't know (couldn't tell if you were just kidding or not... Being from across the border and all)... Over here only the "ricers" call it Noss. And the "old school" hot rodders make fun of them for calling it that. 8)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey Bob, over here just the ricers call it Noss too! And I'm one of the old schoolers that make fun of them. :lol:
(The Fast and the Furious was one of the worst movies I ever watched. Finally got to see some classic iron, and they wrecked it. Dumbass show...)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Brian, I e-mailed today about a rotating assembly with forged crank and got your response, thank you. I've read about the forged cranks that are out right now having issues with tolerances being off. How do the forged cranks you currently have in stock measure up? I'm trying to decide if I want to wait for Scat to get rolling or go ahead with the forged cranks that are currently available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im running a forged steel 4.500 crank in my 557 Alky inject boat motot. I got from http://www.shanonsracing.com/index.html. Talk to Jerry, they usually have them instock ready to ship. It's thier own crank. @ seasons on now and we beat it up over fueling the motor with no damage to crank(cant say that about the pistons and bearings)Great guy to work with he did my BT heads too, they know FORDS!

Doug

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ivan,

I wouldn't say the tolerances are 'off' by any means ... They are on the large side of the spec but to the best of my knowledge every customer has been able to use them with a +.001 bearing, which really isn't uncommon. Race engines require greater clearance, mixing and matching bearings isn't uncommon.

$.02

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.