460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a time trying to figure out the charging system on my 1982 Econoline E350, 460 engine. Ammeter always showing a slight discharge, with lights on,or off. Always starts right up. Alternator is a brand new (not reman), and it was tested before it left the store, it tested out as good. Brand new external voltage regulator ,battery cables and new, clean grounds.

This past weekend I let it idle for 30 min, with lights on, was charging @ 11.7 volts. Lights off it is @ 11.9. Battery, also brand new with vehicle off resting voltage is 12.2 volts. It's acting like it is missing an excitation circuit. Any thoughts on what to do next? The STA wire, that runs from the back of the alt, to the electric choke is not connected, as I have manual choke, could that disconnected wire be the culprit?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Make sure you have battery voltage at the voltage regulator "A" terminal and battery voltage with key switch in run position at "S" terminal of VR. Also make sure VR-voltage regulator's case has a good ground. Since you have an "ammeter" type of wiring, the STA wire will terminate at choke(as you noted), but will not change anything if not connected-just make sure it doesn't touch bare metal. Double check fusible links at starter solenoid and power junction point. Hope this helps

·
Registered
120 Posts
You might want to remove and clean all grounds, not just the battery ground but the engine and frame grounds.
Greg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also check voltage at the alternator itself to see if it is putting out voltage like it should. This will tell you if the alternator is actually working and you are loosing voltage somewhere else. You may want to go ahead and just replace all of your grounds and power leads.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Also check voltage at the alternator itself to see if it is putting out voltage like it should. This will tell you if the alternator is actually working and you are loosing voltage somewhere else. You may want to go ahead and just replace all of your grounds and power leads.
Already did so, all new battery cables and new, clean grounds. Alt is putting out 11.7 volts at idle, with lights on, and 11.9 volts with lights off.(measured at the battery terminals) Has no issues starting whatsoever.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little update: I was poking around under the hood, saw an orange 14 ga. fuse link with a bump in the insulation (see photo) This one went into a large black wire, with yellow stripe. Not sure if this is in need of replacing, or if it's even related to the charging system. Noticed, that on my van, the "I" terminal on the voltage regulator is unused, a long time ford mechanic friend ( has been driving and working on Fords for over 60 years) said to run a wire from the "I" terminal, to the ignition switch. Seems like it's not sensing the voltage for some reason, Also attaching photo of how the ammeter reads. Will check output at alternator tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
A little update: I was poking around under the hood, saw an orange 14 ga. fuse link with a bump in the insulation (see photo) This one went into a large black wire, with yellow stripe. Not sure if this is in need of replacing, or if it's even related to the charging system. Noticed, that on my van, the "I" terminal on the voltage regulator is unused, a long time ford mechanic friend ( has been driving and working on Fords for over 60 years) said to run a wire from the "I" terminal, to the ignition switch. Seems like it's not sensing the voltage for some reason, Also attaching photo of how the ammeter reads. Will check output at alternator tomorrow
View attachment 92630
i see 14+v running in every thing i drive

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yep, a large case 3G 130 amp alternator sourced from a '94 Taurus 3.0 is a great option and almost a direct bolt-in for a 1G or 2G 55-65 amp alternator on a 429-460.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts