460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok who makes the best Double adjustable Rear shocks?

I am sorta looking at these Strange shocks. That's the length it looks like I'm going to need.

50-007 Strange Aluminum - rear, double adjustable
19-1/2" extended, 13-1/4" compressed
6.88" stroke, Strange # S-5007

Also, who makes the best Rack and Pinion Pinto style? Looks count but function first.

T

·
0 Posts
Jerry, I would say the Strange shocks are very good along with Konis. I know people who swear by Afco shocks. But the Santhuffs are the toughest out there. The shaft is 7/8" & you won't wear them out. I went with the Santhuffs on my car after discussing all of them with Jim Geese at Vanishing Point. He is a dealer for Koni,Strange,Lamb, & Santhuff. Give him a call, he can definitely give you some good advice. Whatever you get, get the longest stroke possible. It makes getting those big meats off alot easier. I run the 7" stroke on mine & need every bit of it when it comes to slick removal. :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Pinto Rack

Summit has the Pinto rack for $199.95, as does A.R.T. http://www.appliedracing.com ,A.R.T. also has the weld on tie-rod tube/rod-end kits for the Pinto rack too.

Rick Jones Race Cars http://www.quartermax.com has standard width Pinto racks, as well as modified/narrowed width racks. The narrowed Pinto rack (shorter main body & shaft) come in handy in combos where you need a shorter rack pivot point each side (5 1/8" shorter total) to help remove/eliminate possible bump-steer problems.

I would stay away from the Stiletto billet rack unless you are planning on building the Mustang chassis/body really narrow because it's splined shaft doesn't point toward the driver's side.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Amen on the Stiletto rack! But, is sooooo silky smooth and looks pretty. I may switch back to a pinto rack myself. Anyway, on the shocks, the Strange shock are the best for the money. I paid $550 for mine with the springs. Also, you can add the air adjust to them to control the compression side for a stiff launch and then soft down the track. I bought the adapters for $15, the regulator, solenoid, and timer for about $200 more. I already have the CO2 bottle for the chute launcher.

David

T

·
0 Posts
I have a Mustang 2 rack & pinion on my car. Jim Geese said he preferred it to the Pinto due to the stronger mounting lugs on the Mustang 2. My old car had the pinto rack & I didn't have a problem. I guess I am neutral on it. Those Flaming River racks look real nice. The Stilletto's look damn good too. :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Shocks.

Thought I would mention that QA-1 now offers a double adjustable shock too. They have both adjusting knobs (bump+rebound) at the bottom of the shock (kinda like the Strange).

I haven't messed with the QA-1 doubles, and don't know anyone who has. But they might be something for you to check into as well as the others.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Shocks.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. said:
Thought I would mention that QA-1 now offers a double adjustable shock too. They have both adjusting knobs (bump+rebound) at the bottom of the shock (kinda like the Strange).

I haven't messed with the QA-1 doubles, and don't know anyone who has. But they might be something for you to check into as well as the others.
That's what I have now. I nver got a chance to run them but they look great. Brand new. Not long enough for the new chassis, they fit the old chassis just fine.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Jerry,

Check out the latest issue of ND. It's got a real good section on shocks. There's more options out there than ever before, and most of them will NOT break the bank which surprised me.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts