1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
They where listed on here, weren't they?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I'm glad we can't cheat....all we can do is lie :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Lighten up guys. Most of the time the Chevys are in the majority and therefore the sanctioning body rules tend to favor the BB Chevy. They generally say "iron heads" which lets them run a couple of different versions of the Chevy MERLIN aftermarket heads, and they're counting on the Ford guys not having anything that's competitive except the cast iron OEM CJ head, and it needs a lot of help in the exhaust port.

That was the case up until just a few years ago when the EX 514 heads came out in the cast iron version. I know the gentleman and these heads were "prepped" back before the cast iron EX 514 heads ever came out. He was just leveling the playing field.

Dave, yes they were listed and may still be listed on here in the Auction Block.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
56tbird said:
I'm glad we can't cheat....all we can do is lie :wink: :lol:
Just the fast ones :lol: us slow guy's don't need to :roll:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just thought they were interesting. I don't see this kind of stuff pop up too often.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Thats pretty trick!!

I wonder where you get a cast iron coating done at? I wonder what they did on the ends where they where milled flat and said TFS?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
that's really slick ,how they are rusted too :lol:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I guess that's pretty slick? :lol:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Magnet or not ... what happens when you weigh them?

56tbird said:
There is a pretty big weight difference between Iron heads and aluminum. Unless you already have the "wink" and "nod" going with the local techs, someone is bound to notice a 40 lb difference, don't cha think?

'Course, you have to give the guy credit for "innovation".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Magnet or not ... what happens when you weigh them?

Beoweolf said:
56tbird said:
There is a pretty big weight difference between Iron heads and aluminum. Unless you already have the "wink" and "nod" going with the local techs, someone is bound to notice a 40 lb difference, don't cha think?

'Course, you have to give the guy credit for "innovation".
Aren't the heads attached the engine? Or do these mud racers pull your engine and weigh it? Perhaps all heads have to be weighed and installed at the event? I guess I don't understand the criticism about the weight.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
The only thing I see that would give them away is the chevy exhaust ports.I'm sure they look at the engines in race form, not with the heads off ,unless it'd be a teardown protest.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Their are Cast Iron EX heads, but they are a PITA to get and From what I've been hearing the castings have had a few coolant path issues.

Other than the odvious perfromance advantages of an Ahead and Avalability of the Aluminum heads over the Iron is their some kind of advantage for light weight heads in a pulling truck? It'd seem to me weight would be your friend in one of those?

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
The real advantage to the lighter weight heads would be movable weight. Total weight is still determined by the weight class that you are pulling in. Not that it is that much of a determining factor. The hp capabilities are worth way more. :twisted: I am not a big fan of cheating to win, but cheating to be competitive is a whole other deal. I think that when the playing field is made to favor one brand or another is cheating in itself. It gives a brand an percieved superiority. :(

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
there other avdg also, easyer to port1, alum a heads cheaper 2, and like someone said moving weight around, the ex heads weight 105 each bare,

somebody was cheating for sure

·
Registered
690 Posts
I know a guy running an aluminum block and C heads in a mud truck. To pass inspection he put brake dust in the Ford dark blue paint. Magnets will stick to it all day long.

Everyone is cheating its just that some are smart enough to get away with it....the funny thing is they are also the guys who usually win.

How bad do you want to win?

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Although they are presently out of production and no longer offered new, there was the cast iron Blue Thunder heads in all the BT configurations including the Chevy exhaust port version.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts