460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my trailer hitch a couple weeks ago when we got ready to leave Bowling Green after the NMRA Finals.

I cranked down the jack and kept hearing some cracking and pops and when I looked down, my hitch was bent down.

As a habit I check my hitches every spring. I checked them without a loaded trailer hooked up. Had I hooked up loaded down, I might have found this in it's early stages. From now on, I will check them with a load on the hitch.
I flat got lucky it happened there and not on the highway.

Just got my Curt Magnum Class 5 last night. Looks really beefy.
I am going to need it next year for pulling 2 T-Birds.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I wouldn't buy a boughten hitch, build my own. 1/4 inch plate bolted through the frame with sandwhich plates and heavy wall tube. If it brakes it is my own falut not some manufacture that won't assume liability for their cheap ****. :wink:

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Why not just weld it up? Add a reinforcement plate or weld some triangle pieces in there?

·
Registered
928 Posts
thats why I have a gooseneck ball in my truck and if I ever go bigger than the one little single car open trailer I have it's going to be a gooseneck setup.

To me pulling something like that cig boat with a bumper hitch is nuts :shock: guess thats what comes from driving class 8 trucks for the past 14 yrs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts