460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - Looking into a new wiring harness for a '70 Torino, and from what I've read the American Auto Wire one is great for a few reasons. Anyone have any experience with them?

They don't make one for a '70 Torino, so my choices are an extra-long '69, '70, or '71 Mustang (with new, correct Ford connectors) or a generic one (reusing my existing connectors and customizing).

Would any of the Mustang ones be similar? I was told by their techs that they would physically fit but maybe the dash harness would be different. I'm comfortable doing electrical work so I don't mind figuring stuff like that out. Any insights here? Thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Painless has more of a generic deal for around $600,really easy to use if not worried about original. What happened to the original? Not repairable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original "works" to run the car, but it's so brittle and the stock wiring is really small diameter conductors. Also, a bunch of people have hacked it up so much in the last 50 years that whole sections don't correspond to the wiring diagram at all. I have the cash now so it's time, and it should really prevent lots of drama later...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have used and installed most of the different wining products in my cars and customers cars. I like the Ron Francis system best because of the quality of the fuse block and ease of the install. They use the highest quality wiring. I ordered a Ford universal kit for my 71 Ranchero and am going to install it in the next week or two.
As to the connectors I have been able to find new connectors by searching the web.
If you want a stock correct exactly like original then Narrganset Wiring will have what you need.but at twice the cost.
I have nothing to do with these companys except I have bought and installed their product's.
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'll take a closer look at Ron Francis and Narraganset too

·
Registered
37 Posts
Even if you don't buy a Ron Francis kit be sure to order their catalog.
It is full of wiring tips and will help you greatly in the installation of your kit.
It is well worth ordering and I recommend it to everyone doing any wire work.
Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts