460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I purchased a set from Doug Thorley and they're great. I went on a waiting list a year and a half ago, and of course, they're out of stock again. But if you're looking, I came across these on ebay. This is just a screenshot, not a link. Just thought somebody might be interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Word to the wise, installing headers in the E-series vans is one the hardest header installs I've ever done thanks to the #5 cylinder head studs being nearly impossible to get to from any angle. #1 isn't a walk in the park either! When you finally do get to them, it's 1/8th of a turn at most per wrench throw, so be patient! I managed to snap off 2 studs in the head, and of course, they were impossible to reach with a wrench, much less the head of a welder or even the smallest 90 degree drill with very short bits. Thank goodness for the Banks headers having a machined 5/8th flange and the head surface not being warped. Just a finger smear of high temp RTV and they have remained sealed best I can tell thanks to the fact that the studs that broke off were "interior" studs and had studs on both sides so the clamping force combined with the RTV and ultra thick flange means they should be good ... I'll tend to them properly if I ever have to pull the engine for a rebuild.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts