460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know this is a 460 site but I thought I would post some pics of the old 302. Came out of a 91 HO Stang. I have heard these have forged pistons but am not sure. Thing that weirds me out is the pistons have 4 valve reliefs but it only has 2 valve heads. :? Universal pistons placement possibly.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yep, no 4 valve heads for those. That's the standard way to do valve reliefs for cheap mass production. That ensures that no matter how the engine is assembled as far as which pistons in which direction on which side of the engine, there will not be piston/valve contact. Small block chevies are the same.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew you would pipe in. It will still have the injected manifold on though. And I don't think it will be blue.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Cool...

Cool !! I did my 82 5.0 in the gray color to try and look stock. This 68 motor we just did had the same kind of valve reliefs, but I'm pretty sure our pistons are cast where yours are forged. Keep pics coming. 8)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I managed to get most of the block cleaned. Man I believe we had a oil pan gasket. There was so much caked on oil and grime. But on another note pulled all the rod caps and everything looked spot on. Pics later.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here we go the block cleaned up real nice. So I guess now I can throw a coat of primer on it. By the way does anybody know what heads these have on them. Lets hope these pics are better than the first ones. :oops:

·
Registered
928 Posts
The heads will most likely be E7TE castings. Nothing really special about these castings other than the thermactor "bumps" are far less intrusive in the exhaust ports.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only problem I have found so far with the heads is the exhaust valve on the number 4 cylinder has a bad valve seal. There is oil dripping down the top of the valve.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The E7 heads are pretty good for a street car if you port them a bit. Hog out the exhaust ports pretty well. Don't go crazy with it though because you can break into water. Do a bowl blend on both intake and exhaust. Port out the intake openings to gasket match and lay back the pushrod pinch. You'll gain a bunch of flow even when keeping the small stock valves. In fact, I've got a set on a 351 that I don't have the intake for yet. I'll try to snap a few pics of the ports tomorrow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It won't be complete as I still need the lifter bone things, the piece to hold the bones, a complete gasket set, intake bolts and a timing chain cover and bolts, and a cam sprocket hold down bolt.

D

·
0 Posts
Turbokid15 said:
It won't be complete as I still need the lifter bone things, the piece to hold the bones, a complete gasket set, intake bolts and a timing chain cover and bolts, and a cam sprocket hold down bolt.
Ford Racing sell a new kit with everything you need for the dog bones and holddown.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts