460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When clearancing the rotating assembly in a bbc, how much needs to be ground out?

Does it just need enough room to pass by or like an 1/8" clearance?

Its a 496 kit in a stock short deck height block, with scat h-beam rods, scat crank.

·
Registered
720 Posts
yea wrong forum but answer will apply to all engines.

Use a 1/16 wire to pass between the rods at the block pan rail.when the wire passes through you will have enough clearance.............ron

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
When clearancing the rotating assembly in a bbc, how much needs to be ground out?

Its a 496 kit in a stock short deck height block, with scat h-beam rods, scat crank.
BBC?

STRING HIM UP!!!

:D

Dave

·
Registered
720 Posts
"A engine does not know what the name is on the valve cover." A good engine builder can and does build other perfomance engines and he can use this knowledge , both the weak points and the strong ones, to inprove every build he does.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
That's what separates use from the chevy guys..................:D ;)

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts

Mild, budget engine: if it clears, it clears.

Performance engines: measured 0.050"-0.060", mininum.

Techniques and opinions will vary,

Paul

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I just did a 496 for a customer using the Scat I beam rods and it required no griding at all to make it clear in an '80's 454 block. I think that Scat has slightly changed the shape of those rods because a few years ago I did a 505 for a guy and I had to do some grinding up by the cam area, I had to take out about .100 or so in most places.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the rotating assemble put in. It rotated without hitting anything, but needed grinding on the cam side of the piston holes.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts