460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The 400 heads are the same as 2 bbl 351C heads, open chamber.

The heads bolt right on and there are 400 4bbl intakes, for the 4bbl heads, you may have to just do some port matching.

Bill

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Which "Cleveland" head are you planning on using? The closed chamber 4V heads will raise the compression a bunch even without milling them. And you gain the quench effect which can help fight detonation.

If your going to use 2V open chamber Cleveland heads your really not gaining a whole lot over the 351M/400 heads. And any of these open chamber Cleveland based heads can be detonation prone when you raise the compression ratio anyway because there is no quench pad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
351c heads on 400c

Anyone done this? Trying to do it on a 400 going into a 73 ranchero. Going to mill em .025" to bump the compression what intake manifold would fit? And how do I measure for pushrods? Anything else I should know about doing this swap? Been getting most of my information from here http://www.projectbronco.com/Technical_Articles/351m400_performance_build_up.htm
Yes it can be done and as said in on another reply the 400 heads or basicly the same as 351c 2 barrel heads. To put the 4 barrel heads on the 400 you will have to come up with Intake manifold spacers that will allow the bigger ports from the intake(4barrel size) to match the heads. You could also have the 400c type manifold reworked(aluminum type) but you could be looking at lots on money. A good place to visit also would be "351cleveland.net" and ask around there for info as they are also like here a good bunch of poeple.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I posted the Bronco site link over on the Cleveland board to see what they think.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Just buy a CHI 400 intake manifold and bolt it on - everything fits on the 4V "Cleveland" heads..

Tall & expensive though...!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah, Like Dave said the open chamber heads are dogs! PERIOD! DETONATION CITY.Go with a set of Austrailian 2-barrel heads. Then you will have something! They have the closed chambers and 2-barrel ports, which will make more torque at lower RPMs and be pump gas freindley.
Check out www.ausiefordparts.com They are in Oregon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a little 411 that has the 2BBL heads, dramatically reworked, many, many hours spent reshaping certain areas they flow rather well with the 4BBL valves dropped in. If I had it to do over today I would go with aluminum, but that was then and this is now.
Manifold wise I prefer a single plane which might explain the 'Cleveland' X-Celerator and the adapters.

Why Cleveland heads over the M-heads? There is more iron in them by weight, and I think it is higher quality, they will take more power without cracking, at least that is what I think I have seen. Just my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts