460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I posted much on the forum, but I thought since I asked so many questions and received so much help I'd show my work. These pictures are of my Factory Five Racing 1965 427 Shelby Cobra replica that I just had titled and registered.

It's a 460 stroked to 521 ci with Jon Kaase P-51 Heads. Compression is about 9.5:1
The cam is Comp Cams XE 284H, which is s "Street/Strip" cam.

It sure is fun driving on the back roads because it picks up speed so quick, but the gearing is a little high (8.8" with 3.55) for comfortable fast driving on the interstate. In the future I may lower the gearing to keep the RPM's down when I'm going 65mph.

I have changed the air filter to a round 14" one. The one in the photo burned up after the first backfire...what a piece of crap. I've also put struts on the hood and stoped using my "custom made" hood prop ;)

I still have a lot of work to do on it. I haven't even started the bodywork. I have a small coolant leak that will require me to remove the timing plate...again, but I'll wait until the body is back off to fix that. I had a lot of starter problems that took me a year to figure out what was wrong. The backing plate was not flush with the bellhousing and my starter was not located correctly. I think I broke like 7 starters before I figured it out :(

Thanks for all the help so far,

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks great man, I was a barrett jackson at Scottsdale A.Z in january and I gained a whole new respect for these cars. Oh yeah, i got a laugh from the wood grain hood prop rod.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looking good now can we see and hear some smokey burnouts from that thing Im dieing to see it hear it run. It will be a while before I have mine done and on the road... (have the small block one done boss 347 just need to get the 545 done for #2)

·
Registered
22 Posts
whats the carb setup your running ? 750 double pumper ?
are you mechanical or electric fuel pump ? And whats the dial read at the carb?
Running a fuel pressure reg?

(trying to set mine up)
:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the carb setup your running ? 750 double pumper ?
are you mechanical or electric fuel pump ? And whats the dial read at the carb?
Running a fuel pressure reg?

(trying to set mine up)
:)
The carb is an Holley 850 double pumper. Mechanical fuel pump. I believe the dial at the carb reads 8 or 9. I bought a cheap fuel regulator, but it bleeds like a stuck pig so I took it off. It seems to run fine without it. I may fix it and put it back on later. I'm having too much fun right now to worry about it. Even though the car looks like crap right now it turns heads everywhere I go...maybe it's the noise :)

Joe

·
Registered
88 Posts
lots of power!

I can imagine what that will be like to drive. I built a FFR car with a 427 ci windsor and it was grossly overpowered. 521 will be pretty hard to hook up the tires. have fun! be careful!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the bodywork takes as long as the whole rest of the car. I have to grind down the seams, fill it back up with High Strength Resin Filler and Rage Gold. Sand the whol car down several times. Build up anything that doesn't line up with Rage gold. Then Primer and paint.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I built my MK3 in 2006 I didnt think the body work was so bad took me about 40hr or less worth of time to get her in the finial coat of primer and ready for the base clear turned out fairly good took best of show at one show. Just take your time and dont rush it have some one with a good hand feel for high low spots the more hands the better never trust your eye lol ...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Fireball,

I like the gold color. Nice to see something besides blue and red on one of these things.

Joe

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Fireball,

I like the gold color. Nice to see something besides blue and red on one of these things.

Joe
I know what ya mean they look good in just about any color but I wanted something diff My BBF one will be a similar color but will have white meatballs and stripes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts