460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 694 CI that has a 17:1 comp engine. I run Q 16 and lost about 125 rwhp from the dyno to the track.

The fuel cell is in the front next to the rad and with the front on, the gas gets very warm 95+ degrees , engine heat and exhaust heat. At the dyno, the front end was off and the fans would keep the fuel at room temp.

Was wondering if i ran a cool can to cool the gas if it would regain the power i lost. I know it helps on steet cars with pump gas.

The fuel being warm and air speed are the two only changes since the chassis dyno.

Any thoughts on this?

Need to find that lost power.

Thanks for any input.
Alan

·
Registered
724 Posts
cool can

I use the Moroso blue cool can on my blown 473, anything to cool the intake charge is denser air = more power. You can actually feel the carbs cold from the cool can compared if you leave them empty. Its a poor mans intercooler but it works!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Race fuel always performs better if kept cool . A cool can is a great idea .

Mike Croley
dist. for Competition Race Fuels ( formerly Torco )

·
Registered
302 Posts
My blue Moroso can leaked the third time we went to the track.Had half gallon
of gas in the ice.Don't use one anymore.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It seems to me that the fuel passage inside that cool can would be restrictive to the fuel flow for an engine that big. If you ran it as a recirculating deal may be the best way to do that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gas

Thanks for all the info guys.
I am going to use it on the pump return to the tank. This will keep the tank fuel at a cooler temp i hope.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
To say you lost 125 HP is some what subjective in that you are saying you lost X amount of performance on the time slip. I would look at another factor. What are you doing on timing down track? I would be curious to hear how you have some other things setup.

In Pro Stock we don't cool our fuel or anything... we even fuel in the lanes a lot of the time from the VP truck. Cooler fuel is a little better, but honestly not 125 hp on that type of combo better! No where close!

If you want to give me a ring I would be happy to lend a hand...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
air scoop

Well the two things that changed from the dyno to the track were fuel temp and air speed to the intake.
I had a 3 flapper chrome scoop. I took that off at the dyno and gained 12 hp. I now have the pro stock type of areo scoop. Next time to the track i will run with the scoop. Then i will add ice to the cool can. That will give me an answer on which if any change helped.

Cale, the timing is locked at 32 after the engine reaches 1300 rpm. Even if its lower than 1300, after the first time it passes 1300 its locked.

Thanks guys
Alan

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Alan, I have some advice I would like to give you, but I would like to discuss it with you on the phone, as it will take some explaining. Lets just say with forced air (scoop) and Q16 you will want to add fuel at the top end of the track and you want to do it by using a mixture of two methods ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts