460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kevin got his first win last night at Ohio Valley in True Street. He laid down a 5.04 at 145 in the semi finals and then went on to take the win. You've had some gremlins this year Kev, glad to see you back on track last night.

Our car made a little more progress and then took a step back again. We ran a 5.20 at 143 and broke a valve spring. This big hemi is a valvetrain eater. If you blow the tires off you better take the valve covers off because it is either a rocker arm or valve spring every time.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Kevin got his first win last night at Ohio Valley in True Street. He laid down a 5.04 at 145 in the semi finals and then went on to take the win. You've had some gremlins this year Kev, glad to see you back on track last night.

Our car made a little more progress and then took a step back again. We ran a 5.20 at 143 and broke a valve spring. This big hemi is a valvetrain eater. If you blow the tires off you better take the valve covers off because it is either a rocker arm or valve spring every time.
Congrats guys. Joe have you looked into the PAC coated springs?? We upgraded to them once I had replaced 14 of the Comp 948 tripples. Also set the valve springs a little closer to coil bind and that fixed our problems. It was no hemi head deal but was a C Head 598 that was a twin to Bobby Smalls engine except ours had an aluminum A500 block. Made an honest 1140 hp and ate valve springs atleast once every 2 outings. I got to where I was changing them at the racetrack just to stay in competition. Had zero problems after making the switch. It may not be your cure be your answer but it was worth every penny in our case. I was waiting on the thing to grenade,and thats not a good thing.

Travis

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks guys we appreciate it very much!!!! Actually it was my driver & racing partner(and brains of the outfit) Leon Mathis that ran the 5.04!!!!! I am just the lowly car owner!!!! I just know enough to be dangerous. Sorry to hear about you breaking the valve spring, Joe. I know your car has a lot of potential & I am sure when you get all the bugs worked out, you will be flying!!!!

We have been fighting electrical gremlins since the beginning of the year, & they have been giving us fits. I know we have tested more this year that probably the past 6 years combined. Seems like when we get one problem fixed something else goes wrong. I can not really complain though because we have won more than our fair share of races over the years. Also when you go thru some rough times, when & if you do get a win it makes it more sweeter & makes all the hard work & money spent seem worth it. Anyway you guys take care & have a nice day!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts