460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I swapped a manual steering gearbox into my '68 Galaxie. Took it for a quick spin around town and so far I like it. The extra turns will take a little getting used to, but it shouldn't be too bad as I used to have a Falcon with a slow ratio manual box and it never bothered me any, even with the manual transmission. I like it so far, I'm excited to drive it more.

Two things I've noticed tonight... The manual steering box is significantly smaller and lighter than the power steering box. Gives a bit more room in the engine compartment and it never hurts to take weight off the front end. Perhaps the manual steering box will make more room for headers when I get the 460 in this car.

For now here's a pic of the two boxes side by side. I have a before pic, though I imagine we all know what '65-'68 Gals with power steering boxes look like. Tomorrow I'll take a picture of how it looks with the manual steering box in there.

http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/Galaxie/68/SteeringGearbox/P1000095.JPG

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parallel parking isn't bad at all. The effort is slightly higher than with power steering, but not significantly so. The part that takes getting used to is the number of turns lock to lock. That is noticeably higher. I have to turn the wheel much more quickly when parallel parking or backing into parking spaces. It doesn't bother me, as I now have a much greater sense of road feel as compared to the 'numb' feeling of the power steering on moat '60s Fords. After driving it for going on a week now I'm quite pleased. Definitely won't be going back to power steering.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I did the same thing to a '68 Coronet I used to have. Hated the stock over assisted PS and found the manual gear to be pefect.

:D

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
One cool thing

One cool thing about it is that there are less parts to break and wear out. I have been thinking about using manual steering on my 66 Galaxie. It's good to know that you like it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
I'm thinking of taking my p/s off my 79 f150 and going to manual. Do you have more slack in the wheel or is it about the same?

I want to loose the power steering pump and gain some room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts