460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I smoked my trans last week and am going to rebuild it next week. The C6 didn't seem to like 6500 shifts behind my 460. I'm not sure of the cam specs, but its all roller, pulls hard to 6500-7k. The the stock converter was a drag at lights. I popped it in Neutral half the time. I was going to go with a 2000 stall, but am considering a 2400. Would a 2400 stall still be well mannered? I'm wanting 2 things (which is always a compromise). I want it to be as improved as possible without being so loose that I'm annoyed trying to behave in traffic dealing with lights etc. It never sees the track, but I'm a bit of a hooligan. Where is the sweet spot for a daily driver hot rod pickup?

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Duke,my car is lighter than your truck but with 600hp,a 3200 stall works fine,notice very little if any difference over stock for city driving. In my opinion,2400 is too low.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gotta agree with thermod, I just put in a 3800 behind my 521, couldnt be happier. WAY better than the 2500 I had. Better street manners and lets the engine roll quicker, much quicker. Was worried about heat, have a stacked plate cooler below the car with a fan on it. It actually runs cooler now than it did with the 2500. Got mine from FTI, would recommend them highly. paid about a grand. has anti balloon plates and billet with mechanical diode ( what ever that is ). But couldnt be happier, completely changed the experience with the car better. Give them a call.:wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up with a 3k stall, racing servo, good clutches, shift kit. Really happy now. Just rebuilt the engine this month too, had a rod bearing starting to rattle a little. Decided to drop the cam back from a solid bracket racing cam (a bit radical) to the 274h. Much better manners and still plenty of fun.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Good to hear . A lot of guys seem to be scared of going to a decent converter with some stall. I think a lot of that is based on old design converters from the 80's & 90's that slipped away lol .
Most now are awesome when built specifically to suit the motor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts