460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, broke the convetor in my bronco couple weeks ago, I don't have it out yet, but was told by a couple of different guys that I should get a spragless this time and one guy has one I can try out. Anyone have opinions about this and what exactly would switching do for me? I run a 528 TFS streets, 4100lb bronco, leaving off the brake at 4500 or so. Thanks

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Just form what I'v heard is that you loose a sight bit of M.P.H but nothing else. When I break or change any one of my 3 converts I'll go spraggless as well.

Ace

·
Registered
941 Posts
I tried a spragless about a year ago in my dragster. I sent my converter and had it converter to spragless. No other changes, same fin angles, etc so the stall would be the same. About as close to an A-B-A test as I could get.

With no other changes the spragless slowed the car .04-.05 and 1.5 mph in the 1/8 mile. I didn't like it the "feel" of it at the finish line either. It felt different if you need to lift or rap the throttle to keep from breaking out.

I pulled it after 8-9 passes and sent it back. Changed it back and the lost ET and mph came back. This was a BTE 9" CCX 200+ "soft hit" converter that will go 6100 on the t-brake behind my 557.

David Cole

·
Registered
71 Posts
Isaac, give Andre a call at EDGE racing converters 805-277-7305 He will set you up. Also get ahold of me I still want to check that bronc out. Pat

·
Registered
928 Posts
I ran a spragless last year behind my A headed 528 in my ranger leaving the lline at 5000, went to an edge convertor this year (sprag type) and it's night and day difference for the better, trust me you will like the edge units for what your doing because we are doing similar stuff and it's a LOT more responsive and quicker all around.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Its a deal you ever keep breaking sprags you get a better one, or go to spragless and quit the breakage but lose some performance. The spragless has its place, but I dont think your there yet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was looking for. It always amazes me how people are more than happy to share experiences to help others out. Again, THANKS!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts