460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is one worth it on the street ? I'm not drag racing my 427 Cobra, so I'm not trying to get every little HP gain. I guess a windage tray is similar as well ?
I won't mind installing both. if worth the time and money.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
IMO get the best oil pan you can...........here is a quote by Kaase "Well, I'll tell you one thing that gets overlooked too much, and that's the oil pan. If you run any engine out of oil, you're left with a big, smoking piece of trash. If you change the bore size or the crankshaft, the old oil pan may not work. Things like windage or uncovering the sump can really get you in trouble. The oil pan is a really important part of the motor. It's a big deal, and you can't ignore it".

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course. But I'm asking about scrapers & trays.
I'll call Canton soon and ask if they can alternate their front sump 460 pan that's 6'' to 6.5'' in depth.
I had a Ford FE with their 427 Cobra T style from dump. I'll bet if they tell me they can take the 460 pan, cut the metal out 2" then make a T and weld it together, it would be a bunch,...of $$$. 🤔

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'll call Canton soon and ask if they can alternate their front sump 460 pan that's 6'' to 6.5'' in depth.
I had a Ford FE with their 427 Cobra T style from dump. I'll bet if they tell me they can take the 460 pan, cut the metal out 2" then make a T and weld it together, it would be a bunch,...of $$$. 🤔
Taking Canton’s pan and having someone local modify it to gain as much volume as possible makes the most sense to me. I assume you’ve asked what pans everyone is running on the Cobra forums?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not looking for more volume as possible, the height is the problem. But, modification is a alternative or get one custom made. I'd have to see what the cost's would be. The Superformance car owners group, you need to be a owner to chat on their forum. A lot of theirs come with a 460. I'd like to speak with a owner that has the engine and ask what brand most of them use and what diameters are they.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm not looking for more volume as possible, the height is the problem. But, modification is a alternative or get one custom made. I'd have to see what the cost's would be. The Superformance car owners group, you need to be a owner to chat on their forum. A lot of theirs come with a 460. I'd like to speak with a owner that has the engine and ask what brand most of them use and what diameters are they.
Does Factory Five or Kirkam happen to have a public forum? My guess is theres probably a specific pan that has become the “go to” over the years for that chassis.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts