460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you have a bad battery and you add jumper cables, some (maybe most) of the power from the Jumpers is going into the bad battery. If the bad battery has shorted cells, you will never get the engine to crank.

Of course when you installed the spark plug you are now fighting the engines compression in addition to the normal drag of the piston rings and rotating parts.

You need to get a new battery. Then you will be able to crank the engine at the proper speed. Even taking the old battery out temporarily hooking up the truck battery (by itself) is a good choice.
BTW, if you did not drain out the old gas, it it bad by now and you will never get the engine started. You can try to start the engine using fresh gas in a 5 gallon can and running your fuel pickup line to that (However by now your carb is probably gummed up so you wil need to clean that too).
Thank you very much for the help you bring

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
What was the verdict? Did you ever get your engine running?
My apologies to all... No, I did not bail, I had a family emergency that kept me away for the last couple of months. I will continue working on it and will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
What was the verdict? Did you ever get your engine running?
Hi guys:
I was finally able to dedicate more time to this project... I was never able to loosen/remove the distributor. So I decided to try my luck and move on. I knew the gas tank was the next problem. Removed it, cleaned it the best I could but the pump was not running, sending unit was fine. So I decided to dismantle the pump down to the bare bones, cleaned contacts, brushes, springs that make the connection between the spade lugs and the brushes reassembled and it works as new. Made sure the tank selector valve was switching put fresh gas in the tank, primed the carburetor and vrooommm!!!! started on the first crank.

Thanks to all for your input. Of course, now I have other problems(emergency brake stuck and I new I need to replace the rear brakes).

41 - 44 of 44 Posts