460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you have a bad battery and you add jumper cables, some (maybe most) of the power from the Jumpers is going into the bad battery. If the bad battery has shorted cells, you will never get the engine to crank.

Of course when you installed the spark plug you are now fighting the engines compression in addition to the normal drag of the piston rings and rotating parts.

You need to get a new battery. Then you will be able to crank the engine at the proper speed. Even taking the old battery out temporarily hooking up the truck battery (by itself) is a good choice.
BTW, if you did not drain out the old gas, it it bad by now and you will never get the engine started. You can try to start the engine using fresh gas in a 5 gallon can and running your fuel pickup line to that (However by now your carb is probably gummed up so you wil need to clean that too).
Thank you very much for the help you bring

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
What was the verdict? Did you ever get your engine running?
My apologies to all... No, I did not bail, I had a family emergency that kept me away for the last couple of months. I will continue working on it and will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks a lot

41 - 42 of 42 Posts