460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Larry Ruppert here I am building a 427 cobra. My donor car is a 1969 Lincoln Mark III to my surprise this 460 has a power steering pump that is built into the timing chain cover and driven by the the crank. Having never seen one before and I cant find any information about it. Do you think the pressure output is ok for a rack and pinion set up. thanks Larry

·
Registered
318 Posts
Should work just fine.
X2. Make sure you pay close attention to the front cover where the pump bolts on to it and behind it. I have taken several apart (saved them from being sold for scrap) and all but 1 had some sort of crack in it. I don't know why they do it, this is just a heads up.

Also, you cant get these pumps at local parts stores. You will have to send it to one of a couple Lincoln restorers to get it rebuilt.

Im not trying to talk you out of it, i think its a cool setup and should work well. This is some of the things I found when I was going to use this type on my mud bogger to run the full hydraulic steering.

Dave S.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The original poster of this thread was my dad. He purchased a 69 Lincoln Continental for the engine and was going to put it in an Cobra kit car. He passed away earlier this year and I promised him I would finish it.

I was going to remove the power steering pump from crank and do a conversion. Then I got to thinking that maybe I should retain this pump (assuming its still good). My dad asked if this is adequate for a rack and pinion. Are there any drawbacks to going with this setup?

·
Registered
519 Posts
The only drawback is parts to repair them. Ive got three of them from 460 motors so if you need one let me know. The crank unit reduces valuable space consumption for a cleaner build. This pump also drove the wipers on MIII's as well.
I dont think an AC Cobra needs power steering even with a big block and iron heads but if you like one finger steering Im sure you'll get it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The original poster of this thread was my dad. He purchased a 69 Lincoln Continental for the engine and was going to put it in an Cobra kit car. He passed away earlier this year and I promised him I would finish it.

I was going to remove the power steering pump from crank and do a conversion. Then I got to thinking that maybe I should retain this pump (assuming its still good). My dad asked if this is adequate for a rack and pinion. Are there any drawbacks to going with this setup?
So sorry to hear that, our condolences.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Rebuild kits are available from Mark 2 Enterprises. 800 576 2752.The pumps put out about 1200 lbs pressure,plenty for a M2 rack.I'm using the pump for a rack and hydroboost power brake setup.I think they are odd and cool at the same time...havn't got it running yet but don't expect any problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crank Driven Power Steering Conversion

I have a 69 Lincoln Continental with the Crankshaft Driven Power Steering Pump, that for some reason we cannot keep seals in it. Which is not easy to get to, being behind the Balancer. I'd like to convert it to a conventional Belt Driven Power Steering pump if Possible. My Questions are:

Is there a conversion kit available?

Will it have enough to Run the Steering and Wipers?

Does anything need to be done to the crankshaft in place of the old Power steering pump?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Frustrated.

~Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you still have the pumps? Please call Greg at Performance Clinic, Dayton, OH at (937)426-3247, M-F, 9am-5:30pm. Thank you very much and we hope to hear back from you soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts