460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
....... Yawn... I would expect more. Our own Mad Porter has done more with less. If I was, seriously, Shafiroff, I wouldn't be shooting up any flares over 1.3 per cubic inch for a MEASELY $$$15,000 THOUSAND DOLLARS. JMO!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....... Yawn... I would expect more. Our own Mad Porter has done more with less. If I was, seriously, Shafiroff, I wouldn't be shooting up any flares over 1.3 per cubic inch for a MEASELY $$$15,000 THOUSAND DOLLARS. JMO!
How much do you think it should make?

Key word being crate engine!!..........i'm sure if was a custom piece it would make more.

Cheers, Bob

Ps- there are some nice parts in that crate engine...i like the molnar rods.... 15k seems like a good deal IMO.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
How much do you think it should make?

Key word being crate engine!!..........i'm sure if was a custom piece it would make more.

Cheers, Bob

Ps- there are some nice parts in that crate engine...i like the molnar rods.... 15k seems like a good deal IMO.
First off Bob.... I'm not ragging on you. :)....... That Shafiroff motor has some serious parts in it and for $15,000 it ought to be around 850 HP. Just about anyone can build a 750 HP BBF with bolt ons these days. I don't think they thought it all the way through. It's just my opinion you don't need a 4 bolt block for 745 on 92 octane. And as an example, the 557 that Scotty built is also pump gas producing 1.5 per cubic inch with the same heads. The motor I'm building right now is a 521 and I had what I thought was a realistic goal of 715-725 HP. Basically out of the box parts except for Scotty's cam and I believe I'm going to be 'turn-key' @ under $9000. That is Scat, TFR's best, custom cam, comp cam 836, full roller rockers, QFR 1050, Dave McLain machine work etc.etc. I need to buy push rods after I do length check and I'm at $8606. I also believe with a twist here and there I could top their 745 HP. Hey, I'm not saying it is not a good motor or Shafiroff isn't credible. My point is 745 for $15 large is not so special. JMO :)

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
First off Bob.... I'm not ragging on you. :)....... That Shafiroff motor has some serious parts in it and for $15,000 it ought to be around 850 HP. Just about anyone can build a 750 HP BBF with bolt ons these days. I don't think they thought it all the way through. It's just my opinion you don't need a 4 bolt block for 745 on 92 octane. And as an example, the 557 that Scotty built is also pump gas producing 1.5 per cubic inch with the same heads. The motor I'm building right now is a 521 and I had what I thought was a realistic goal of 715-725 HP. Basically out of the box parts except for Scotty's cam and I believe I'm going to be 'turn-key' @ under $9000. That is Scat, TFR's best, custom cam, comp cam 836, full roller rockers, QFR 1050, Dave McLain machine work etc.etc. I need to buy push rods after I do length check and I'm at $8606. I also believe with a twist here and there I could top their 745 HP. Hey, I'm not saying it is not a good motor or Shafiroff isn't credible. My point is 745 for $15 large is not so special. JMO :)
Well, maybe I'm wrong on the price....$15K.... after looking around on the 'net' and checking "Carls" 'Crate' prices the $15K may be realistic. Both Kaase and Carl are pushing $20K for 700-800 HP. Glad I can assemble parts myself. :)
* A little 306 I built in my garage.
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Show me anyone thats made 850hp with 10.7 comp hydraulic roller pump gas!!

They build quality crate engines not cookie cutter engines.

Kaase is one of the best going around..........IMO

Cheers, Bob

·
Premium Member
553 Posts

Cheers, Bob
I never said Kaase wasn't quality nor Carls.... I was just stating the NEW OBVIOUS FOR ME, that 'crate horsepower is expensive. It is a little hard to tell for sure on Kaases site what the horsepower is, but he might be saying "Over 800 in a 520 for $18 large. Carl is advertising over 700 at $19,995. I tagged you on my motor costs in case you haven't seen it yet.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts

Cheers, Bob
I'm getting close Bob Keith Craft A460 572 CI 750 HP 10 to 1 Hydraulic rollers $13,600 :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
A crate engine is not sold as race engine, nor is it made to make the power of said race engine. It is made for reliability, hence the high end parts and power at lower rpm's. You could build it much cheaper with a stock block and make more power, but how is your reliability in a street car or bracket car? Especially for the masses....and some people can break an anvil with a glass hammer.....Should I bring up regular maintenance? D

·
Registered
74 Posts
With the quality of the parts that are provided its not a terrible deal, should it or could it make more power of course. With a cam swap and a little fine tuning it could be an animal with a very sturdy foundation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pretty freaking sweet if you ask me. Like stated. It's a crate motor. Shaffiroff does not want to run it on the ragged edge. I just think it is cool that more builders who traditionally build bow tie are realizing that BBF power is for real!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty freaking sweet if you ask me. Like stated. It's a crate motor. Shaffiroff does not want to run it on the ragged edge. I just think it is cool that more builders who traditionally build bow tie are realizing that BBF power is for real!
Yep!!..........Scott offers a warranty with these engines. No way could he warranty this stuff if he maxed each engine.

Cheers, Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts