460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought a DOVE-A 4 bolt block and am going to get it sonic tested within the next few weeks. I'm wanting to build a big stroker so what kind of cylinder wall thickness would be a minimum or safe point to bore it to? Also, what kind of affect does filling the block to say the water pump holes have on safe bore size?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
Hey guys,

I just bought a DOVE-A 4 bolt block and am going to get it sonic tested within the next few weeks. I'm wanting to build a big stroker so what kind of cylinder wall thickness would be a minimum or safe point to bore it to? Also, what kind of affect does filling the block to say the water pump holes have on safe bore size?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Jon,

The answer to this question is subjective. Also, it is dependent on many factors including but not limited to:
  • Overall power output of the engine combo
  • intended rpm range
  • rod ratio
  • fuel type
  • power adders or not (and if so, which power adders)
  • filled or unfilled water jackets
  • (more)
Make sure the individual sonic checking the block is familiar with the characteristics of these blocks and also that your sonic check sheet reports where the thinnest spots in the cylinders are exactly. Typically (but not always) the thinnest spots are about 1-inch below the deck surface, between cylinders (non-thrust areas of cylinders).

Once you have a sonic check sheet, post it up and tell us about your intended build. With the insight of your sonic check sheet and intended build, suggestions can be made.

Based on my findings from sonic checking 385 Series blocks, my personal opinion is that generally a 4.44" bore is the "rule-or-thumb safe limit" for most naturally aspirated engines below 900 hp or so.....but this is not all inclusive and there are exceptions from block-to-block (wall thickess from block-to-block); if you're building an engine with that kind of power level then you really should be sonic checking the block anyway.

Paul

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
4.440 is usually a safe bet but, I've seen them break through at 4.420, sonic check is a must.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Even with a good production block things can get a little thin for my liking. But on the other side of the coin, a lot of them have been done with surprisingly few problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts