460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first posting and I need some help. I just recently purchased a 1970 Torino Cobra SCJ drag pack car. No, I didn't trade my first born for it, actually I got it for a great deal. The reason for the lower price is because it didn't have the original motor, transmission, or rear end :frown:

But I knew all that going into the purchase, as this would be a project car and there was going to be some work to be done to get it up to snuff. The car came with a 460 D1VE block, D1VE A2B heads, C6 (post 76'), and a 8 inch rear. Lucky I have been getting ready to restore a 1970 Torino GT (351C 4V) car, so I have some parts that I can rob Peter to pay Paul.

Being someone that likes vehicles as close to factory as possible, I began my search to get this Cobra back to close to stock as possible. I found a D0VE-A block with a 4U crank (not 4 bolt, but will add splayed caps) and I will add forged pistons. Got an original engine oil cooler (was gone also), SCJ intake and aluminum valve covers, plus I am working on getting the original exhaust manifolds.

So now to talk about the most expensive part of the motor build, the heads. I was trying to decide if I should go with the new aluminum SCJ heads, but again wanting to keep it original, I decided to look for original heads. I was able to find two sets, one on ebay and one Craigslist. I decided on the Craigslist, as I could take a look at them and make my decision. I met the guy and he was very nice (mostly a Chevy guy though) and he and I spoke for a while. I briefly looked at the heads while we were talking, but knowing that I was going to rebuild anything that wasn't new, I didn't give it as hard of a look as I should have. He told me that they were professionally ported and polished by a local well-known speed shop and by looking at the intake runners, I could see that was true. They have been sitting for a long time, had some rust, as they were run after the porting was done.

So today I gave the heads a more through look and noticed that the exhaust ports have been ported as well. That makes sense, as of the research has told me that the exhaust on these heads are what's needed the most anyway. Looking at both heads I noticed that there are small holes in each of the exhaust ports (which I believe are normal), which they filed down the hump, but one has the hole which seems to have rusted out larger and now is oval hole which is about 1/2 inch at the largest part.

Coming from small blocks, I don't ever remember seeing these. So, what are these holes for and should I be concerned? Can these be fixed or sealed up if not needed? Thanks for all of the help in advance!

I have attached three photos. One is from a pair of D0VE-C heads that I have and the other are from the D0OVE-R (one of which seems the normal size hole and then a picture of the large hole I'm referring to).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
This is my first posting and I need some help. I just recently purchased a 1970 Torino Cobra SCJ drag pack car. No, I didn't trade my first born for it, actually I got it for a great deal. The reason for the lower price is because it didn't have the original motor, transmission, or rear end :frown:

But I knew all that going into the purchase, as this would be a project car and there was going to be some work to be done to get it up to snuff. The car came with a 460 D1VE block, D1VE A2B heads, C6 (post 76'), and a 8 inch rear. Lucky I have been getting ready to restore a 1970 Torino GT (351C 4V) car, so I have some parts that I can rob Peter to pay Paul.

Being someone that likes vehicles as close to factory as possible, I began my search to get this Cobra back to close to stock as possible. I found a D0VE-A block with a 4U crank (not 4 bolt, but will add splayed caps) and I will add forged pistons. Got an original engine oil cooler (was gone also), SCJ intake and aluminum valve covers, plus I am working on getting the original exhaust manifolds.

So now to talk about the most expensive part of the motor build, the heads. I was trying to decide if I should go with the new aluminum SCJ heads, but again wanting to keep it original, I decided to look for original heads. I was able to find two sets, one on ebay and one Craigslist. I decided on the Craigslist, as I could take a look at them and make my decision. I met the guy and he was very nice (mostly a Chevy guy though) and he and I spoke for a while. I briefly looked at the heads while we were talking, but knowing that I was going to rebuild anything that wasn't new, I didn't give it as hard of a look as I should have. He told me that they were professionally ported and polished by a local well-known speed shop and by looking at the intake runners, I could see that was true. They have been sitting for a long time, had some rust, as they were run after the porting was done.

So today I gave the heads a more through look and noticed that the exhaust ports have been ported as well. That makes sense, as of the research has told me that the exhaust on these heads are what's needed the most anyway. Looking at both heads I noticed that there are small holes in each of the exhaust ports (which I believe are normal), which they filed down the hump, but one has the hole which seems to have rusted out larger and now is oval hole which is about 1/2 inch at the largest part.

Coming from small blocks, I don't ever remember seeing these. So, what are these holes for and should I be concerned? Can these be fixed or sealed up if not needed? Thanks for all of the help in advance!

I have attached three photos. One is from a pair of D0VE-C heads that I have and the other are from the D0OVE-R (one of which seems the normal size hole and then a picture of the large hole I'm referring to).

When we use Iron CJ castings we use a long 7/16" drill bit to clean out the thermactor supply rail above the exhaust port. We then tap in two pieces of non threaded 7/16" steel rod one from each end and finally cap the ends of the cylinder head with the proper plugs.

The porter simply got a bit aggressive at the roof and ground into the supply rail above the exhaust ports.

We frequently build CJ engines for original torino cobras. I do NOT recommend building a 429. This is simply no enough displacement to effectively utilize the large intake port area of the cylinder heads or intake runners.

Minimum of 460 inches. This combination makes for a really nice street runner even with exhaust manifolds.
Feel free to use it as a guide.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SMJRHP/photos/?tab=album&album_id=871239056296815

We also do a 521 inch version.

Again feel free to use as a guide.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SMJRHP/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1223335671087150

Some clients insist that the engine look OEM externally and some will allow for a better intake and FPA mid length headers which are good for 60+ hp over manifolds.

Here is a link to the headers. Cost effective considering what a nice set of manifolds will cost.

stage 2 460 revised

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When we use Iron CJ castings we use a long 7/16" drill bit to clean out the thermactor supply rail above the exhaust port. We then tap in two pieces of non threaded 7/16" steel rod one from each end and finally cap the ends of the cylinder head with the proper plugs.

The porter simply got a bit aggressive at the roof and ground into the supply rail above the exhaust ports.

We frequently build CJ engines for original torino cobras. I do NOT recommend building a 429. This is simply no enough displacement to effectively utilize the large intake port area of the cylinder heads or intake runners.

Minimum of 460 inches. This combination makes for a really nice street runner even with exhaust manifolds.
Feel free to use it as a guide.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SMJRHP/photos/?tab=album&album_id=871239056296815

We also do a 521 inch version.

Again feel free to use as a guide.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SMJRHP/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1223335671087150

Some clients insist that the engine look OEM externally and some will allow for a better intake and FPA mid length headers which are good for 60+ hp over manifolds.

Here is a link to the headers. Cost effective considering what a nice set of manifolds will cost.

stage 2 460 revised

SJ
used 2b RHP

Thanks for the info! That Cobra that you have on your Facebook page is Sweet! I can't wait until mine is looking that good :)

So, you think that the head can be fixed by the method that you mentioned (using the 7/16 " rod to fill the hole) and it will be OK? What about inside the port itself? Do you think that it would be necessary to fill the holes, especially the large hole? What is the thermactor holes for, emissions?

I am not going to race this car, just a weekend car show car and every now and again to the drag strip for some fun. I know that I will be leaving some HP on the table, but I have already bought Sealed Power L2366f 30 over 429 pistons, that I believe will already give me 11.1:1 compression. If I use the 460 crank, I believe that I would have to dish them out or sell them and use another piston that is dished?

Also, what headers are those? I didn't see a brand. Will they work in a C6 car? The Hooker headers are those funky ones that go around the front suspension, but I would rather have these, if the exhaust manifold deal does't go through.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Thanks for the info! That Cobra that you have on your Facebook page is Sweet! I can't wait until mine is looking that good :)

So, you think that the head can be fixed by the method that you mentioned (using the 7/16 " rod to fill the hole) and it will be OK? What about inside the port itself? Do you think that it would be necessary to fill the holes, especially the large hole? What is the thermactor holes for, emissions?

I am not going to race this car, just a weekend car show car and every now and again to the drag strip for some fun. I know that I will be leaving some HP on the table, but I have already bought Sealed Power L2366f 30 over 429 pistons, that I believe will already give me 11.1:1 compression. If I use the 460 crank, I believe that I would have to dish them out or sell them and use another piston that is dished?

Also, what headers are those? I didn't see a brand. Will they work in a C6 car? The Hooker headers are those funky ones that go around the front suspension, but I would rather have these, if the exhaust manifold deal does't go through.

Headers are found at Ford Powertrain Applications

Trust me when I tell you that this combo at 429" is disappointing. Sell or return the 2366 flat tops and get L2404F dished forged pistons and an inexpensive 460 crank. Reuse your rods. This will put static c/r in the low to mid 10's. 11 to 1 static is a bit high for pump fuel and iron heads.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Headers are found at Ford Powertrain Applications

Trust me when I tell you that this combo at 429" is disappointing. Sell or return the 2366 flat tops and get L2404F dished forged pistons and an inexpensive 460 crank. Reuse your rods. This will put static c/r in the low to mid 10's. 11 to 1 static is a bit high for pump fuel and iron heads.

SJ
used 2b RHP

OK, I can do that. I still have a 460 crank from the motor currently in the car that I can use. That will help give me more HP, but after the rod is installed in the thermactor supply rail, will we need to fill the hole in the exhaust chamber? Will that 1/2" oval hole cause any issues with exhaust flow?

Also, where can I get those headers that you have? If found the FPA website and they only have headers up to the 390-428.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
OK, I can do that. I still have a 460 crank from the motor currently in the car that I can use. That will help give me more HP, but after the rod is installed in the thermactor supply rail, will we need to fill the hole in the exhaust chamber? Will that 1/2" oval hole cause any issues with exhaust flow?

Also, where can I get those headers that you have? If found the FPA website and they only have headers up to the 390-428.

Thanks again!
Installing the rod in the supply rail will plug those holes. More important is a performance valve job, good parts and proper shaping of the area with in 1.5" of the valves.

Call stan Johnson at FPA
253-848-9503

Tell him about your application and that we sent you.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installing the rod in the supply rail will plug those holes. More important is a performance valve job, good parts and proper shaping of the area with in 1.5" of the valves.

Call stan Johnson at FPA
253-848-9503

Tell him about your application and that we sent you.

SJ
used 2b RHP

Also, what cam would you recommend? I am running a C6 with 3.50 gears. Not the original 4.30 DL, as I will be running it on the street mostly. No power accessories at all. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Also, what cam would you recommend? I am running a C6 with 3.50 gears. Not the original 4.30 DL, as I will be running it on the street mostly. No power accessories at all. Thanks
We custom grind all of our cams locally for each application. The cam ground for the linked 460 CJ for gary is a good fit. If you are going to run headers some of the specs would need to change.

SJ
used 2b RHP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts