460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I´m going to change heads on my 429 (currently running on D2ve but with stud kit)

I have a pair of DOve and D3ve, witch one should I use?

The D3 has been mild down and put roker arm studs in it instate of the paedalstelt.

Sorry of my english

Regards from Iceland

Anton Ólafsson

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Compression will be the largest difference between them. Can't know what ya need without more info on your requirements for the car/truck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is for my 1972 Lincoln Continental coupe

I now of the cc difrent of D0 and D3 if i was gona use the D3 i would have them mild down to 72cc.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
you wont get them to 72 cc.
if its to be driven on the street, the D3's are just fine.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Umm not sure but I dont think you can mill that much off the D3's I could be wrong I'm sure someone will be along to correct me. Just use the Doves because they do have +/- 75cc chambers and save the extra machining money and put somewhere else.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any thread hare with pics and info of how is best to port the exhaustport?

I live in Iceland and there is none porting dudes here whit a flowbench.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Definitely a good site, both ports are going to be near the same flow.....with nearly the same potential, But the DOVE's are already set up for screw in studs

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
It is a 1 time fee. You can return any time you like. It is worth the money if you are going to port D3VE-A2A's.

You want to use the DOVE's. If you want to haul butt that is. No sense in trying to mill D3VE's. I don't think you can take that much off of them anyway. And if you can you will end up having to mill the intake manifold as well to get it to bolt back on. The DOVE's are way better for performance as cast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
it depends on what size exhaust valves you use, if you put in 1.80 ex than u can only go 2.19 intake i think, and if you use 1.76 ex than i think u can use 2.25 in

·
Premium Member
9,281 Posts
I suppose i should chime in here...

Given the same static compression ratio there is or will be little difference between the two so far as power potential goes because in large valve ported condition they flow the same and the intake ports are the same as well as chamber shape. Exhaust ports are slightly different but will flow the same when properly ported.

It will come down to compression ratio. If you are building from scratch then either will do. If you have a low compression dished piston short block and need additional static compression ratio then use the smaller chamber Doves.

The D3's cam be milled down to about 90 cc's or a tic less but at that you will have to mill the intake side of the casting too.

:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts