460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing/wanting a set of D3 non-smog heads, so I can move the retstoration of my late son's(passed Dec. of '19) '95 F150 4x4 along, not trying to take any business away from anyone here, but are there any good nation wide cylinder head remanufacturer recommendations(Like from Autozone, O'reillys, Advanced)? Not sure which direction to go and I haven't heard/found a worthy machinist around my area(North central Florida) to wholeheartedly trust and being on limited funds doesn't help. I figured if a remanned head already have guides replaced and 3 angle valve job done, I may be money ahead to get those heads, port the exhausts and install new valve springs. I have been burned by individual sellers at almost every turn during this restoration process, mainly due to taking someone's word, the fault is all mine for trusting folks I guess. The engine drivetrain will be 9.5 comp ratio 472(.060" overbore) carbed, Holley 750 VS, Edelbrock Performer intake, Hooker headers, hydraulic flat tappet camshaft possibly Comp Cams 34-235-4 4x4 camshaft or something equivalent. C6 trans with 22-2500 stall, 456 gears, 37"tires. Not looking to go over 5500 rpm. Please advise and thank you in advance. Todd

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am not sure of any I would completely trust. My experience has been in the reman world, the big companies are volume based businesses, and quality isn't at its best. It truly is a shot in the dark, no idea who did what etc.one advantage is you might be able to get a guarantee of some sort, but it maybe voided if you change out the springs, and port them.

I don't know what your budget is, but I have a set of d3 getting refreshed at a place here. They are getting bigger valves, bowls opened up, decked seats and valves ground and I am going to be into them 400 bucks, from a nationally known head shop. I know when they leave, everything will be dead on.

There are some really good and honest people still out there. Ask for recommendations from local racers, etc. I know several head shops, most of them out here. Farthest east I have had work done is in Kansas, but it was worth it...shipping etc.

Hit up Scotty J, he would be the go to on Iron d3s.

Good luck!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure of any I would completely trust. My experience has been in the reman world, the big companies are volume based businesses, and quality isn't at its best. It truly is a shot in the dark, no idea who did what etc.one advantage is you might be able to get a guarantee of some sort, but it maybe voided if you change out the springs, and port them.

I don't know what your budget is, but I have a set of d3 getting refreshed at a place here. They are getting bigger valves, bowls opened up, decked seats and valves ground and I am going to be into them 400 bucks, from a nationally known head shop. I know when they leave, everything will be dead on.

There are some really good and honest people still out there. Ask for recommendations from local racers, etc. I know several head shops, most of them out here. Farthest east I have had work done is in Kansas, but it was worth it...shipping etc.

Hit up Scotty J, he would be the go to on Iron d3s.

Good luck!
Dexter,
Thank you for your reply along with the recommendations, much appreciated! I have a couple of friends local to me that I spoke with this morning at a swap meet that may allow some head options(D3 heads that have already been freshened up, but basically stock). One issue I have is the engine that I started with was a supposedly rebuilt-good running OMC 460, upon opening up engine I found both D3 heads have cracks across a couple intake and exhaust valve seats in each head, so to get a set of heads done I would need to source a set of "good" usable heads to begin with. I do have a good set of Dove heads, but they will put compression way too high for this engine's intended use or my needs. I did not mean to insinuate there aren't any good and honest folks still out there, it is just that I have been burned by putting too much trust in those who I've dealt with. I will check with a couple of mechanics that are in my area that I can trust in their recommendations, known them for over 30 years and have always been honest with me and those I've sent their way. Thank you once again for your reply.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Low,
What area are you from?
I may be able to help out with a fresh set of d3 heads.
Thank you for the reply. I live in north central Florida, actually Summerfield, Fl. I am about 20 miles south of Ocala and about 65 miles north of Orlando. I have tried to find a decent set of D3's and have had a couple leads but have come up empty handed so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated, not really looking for an "all out racing" prepped head, just a good set of "ready to run" heads, but would not want to miss a good deal if I can afford it of course. Just let me know. Thank you once again for your reply!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I live in north central Florida, actually Summerfield, Fl. I am about 20 miles south of Ocala and about 65 miles north of Orlando. I have tried to find a decent set of D3's and have had a couple leads but have come up empty handed so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated, not really looking for an "all out racing" prepped head, just a good set of "ready to run" heads, but would not want to miss a good deal if I can afford it of course. Just let me know. Thank you once again for your reply!

Understand.
If you want to PM your info, I can send you pics and information on the heads if you would like.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Paul and Mike for the offers, prices were more than fair but the parts being so far from my location, the shipping would have been a major hurdle. I realize you or I can't control that. Luckily I found a fellow yesterday within 5 miles of me wanting to get rid of all his stock 460 stash, which includes many of the parts I need to complete the install into my son's truck(Like factory F250-460 engine perches). Looks to be 3-4 engine's worth of parts, from pulleys to oil pans, not sure if much of it is worth anything, but I did find things in his lot that I needed. Thanks again and I appreciated your correspondence and offers. Todd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome!! I like it when things work out the way they should!

Good luck with the build. Makes me happy to see a young soul take interest in our hobby!
They are the future and hopefully they keep the old stuff alive!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome!! I like it when things work out the way they should!

Good luck with the build. Makes me happy to see a young soul take interest in our hobby!
They are the future and hopefully they keep the old stuff alive!!
Well I feel young at 52. My wife and I are restoring my late son's '95 F150, he passed in Dec. of '19. My daughter just took some graduation pics with his truck(he is there on the roof with her), we had all his friends sign it at his viewing(reason for all the names on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I feel young at 52. My wife and I are restoring my late son's '95 F150, he passed in Dec. of '19. My daughter just took some graduation pics with his truck(he is there on the roof with her), we had all his friends sign it at his viewing(reason for all the names on it.
View attachment 92736

Oh my, I am really sorry to hear that!!
Sounds like a very special vehicle.

Again, good luck on the build! Hope it turns out perfect for you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts