460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together a 1978 F-150 with a Bigblock for sand racing at Gravelrama. It has the stock Dana 44 and 9 inch with 3.50 gears. On the fifth pass at the starting line, the transfer case poped into neutral and also broke the cross pin and spider gears in the front axle. I can get another Dana 44 with 4.10 gears for it but I am curious how well it will hold up. Also are there any tips to set up the front suspension for sand racing.

· Registered
2,268 Posts
Im running a D44 9" combo on 38's bogging and after I got the 30+ year old parts out its Critter runns a D44 9" also with lotsa HP and cut boggers all the way around my uncle also runs the same setup except a cevy style 44 making 1300hp +spray running paddles rear and cut boggers front...

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The carnage continues

While working on the truck, I just realized the NP205 transfer case is also broken. With the transfer case in 4 Wheel Low and the transmission in park the back tires spin free. I guess the transfer case broke first and sent all the power to the front axle, which broke the front differential. Its got a mild 501 stroker with an estimated 550 HP. I installed different paddle tires on the rear before it broke that weighed 75 pounds each, an increase of 20 pounds over the first pair of paddle tires I tried. I wonder if the extra mass contributed to the driveline damage.

· Registered
329 Posts
I'm running a 44 as well in a ranger mud drag truck with 900hp, only 34's on the front but stock axles in it with no problems, put some more gear in it and it will be easier on parts, used to bust axles all the time with 3.5s, now I have 4.56s in the front and hardly ever brake
for insurance you can get forged axles. try http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/b-414
good luck
Steve

· Registered
1,181 Posts
HAHA yeah I know, but I will be shying away from those really bad pits I think. I will start going south abit more to the side by side tracks rather then to the bog pits up north. I won't sell the 60, it'll stay close at hand just incase I have bad luck with the d44.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.