460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to put a dana 80 under the rear of my 75 high boy bog truck. Have been running a 60 but I keep twisting off axle shafts with 18.4-16.1 tractor tires. I would like to run 5.88 gears but havent been able to find any that low for the 80. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to use rockwells but I don't have those on hand and I do have a dana 80. I have found 5.38 gears but was hoping for lower. Also I havent had any trouble with the 60 up front so I hesitate to change everything again. I was hoping to hear from some truck pullers because I have heard of some of them using 80s. I would also like to stay with the smaller axles so I can enter some of the local truck pulls in the 7600lb class and the rockwells would not be allowed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would love to use rockwells but I don't have those on hand and I do have a dana 80. I have found 5.38 gears but was hoping for lower. Also I havent had any trouble with the 60 up front so I hesitate to change everything again. I was hoping to hear from some truck pullers because I have heard of some of them using 80s. I would also like to stay with the smaller axles so I can enter some of the local truck pulls in the 7600lb class and the rockwells would not be allowed.
Are the rules set up for the 7600 lb class nothing bigger than a 1 ton rear end?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's another thing about going to rockwellls, I can still enter the truck in the bone stock class with the dana 80. The last race I ran bone stock and open class and could gave run every class in between. Is anyone currently running an 80 rear and how has the reliability been?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The c100 and d100 square tube axels that came out of motor homes and 1.5 ton trucks are light weight come in the ratio you want and pretty tough. We run an 80 but have the d100 sitting in the shop. I am not a big fan of the 80 for most dedicated off road projects although readily available the parts and the axles themselves are very exspensive compared with some of the junkyard axles

·
Registered
22 Posts
The c100 and d100 were in old out of the 60s I know 1.5 ton fords and international trucks not as big as a f600 alot of those have 2 spds. The tube on the rear end is square the hogs head comes out and you can set up the ring and pinion on the bench. Alot of them have 5 or 6 lugs on a big pattern we dont run brakes and the guys run a solid racing wheel with the centers turned to fit. Or redrill the outer on the axle for 8 lugs but still the wheel center need to be huge. I have a huge motor home that has a square tube f106 rockwell axel in it its a step above the c or d 100s. When I get them I sell them cheap couple hundred bucks or less cant by a 60 for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts