460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's a big inch ford with an f2 blower. I can't beleave there were no gaurd rail past the score board. No ambulance either!

S

·
0 Posts
Anyone know what failed?

Armchair QB..

Looks like the power was ok at 16 to 19 seconds in the vid.. Right at I'd say 19 & 1/2 the power went quiet and at 20 sec the brake lights were on.

I know we are talking thousands of a second here but would going for the chut have been a better option then appling the brakes..

If the power is interuped.. how do the slicks unload and can you anticipate traction loss from wheel hop using a chassis softwear ie extream AS (anti-Squat) will increase the chances of wheel hop when braking)

Just trying to learn.. :=)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wheels just lost traction and started spinning. Watch the video again and turn up the volume, was still in it when the wheels started spinning! Plus he was probably going about 120 -130 when he went sideways, just wasn't quick enough to pull the chute I guess. We can always look at a video and say "wouldn't it have been better if" but you don't know for real till you been in that situation. Happens super fast.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sounds to me like just after a gear change the engine RPM's started to climb again normally at first, and then the RPM's started to zing under power just before the car turned left. If you look at the clip in full screen mode you will see that just as the RPM's started to zing there was a smoke/haze trail starting to come off both slicks just before it turned left.

So my guess is it just lost traction & turned left from simple tire spin or shake. What caused the loss of traction could be anything, too much boost coming in down track, no down force from lack of a rear deck wing (none that I could see in the clip). Or something getting under the slicks such as oil, water, oil-dry, etc, etc either from the car its self or already on the track surface.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Dangerous place to race. Poor gaurd rails and a complete lack of them at shutdown :? :shock: , a chair at the end of the track, etc.

I agree with Dave, you can hear the RPM's come up and see the smoke a second later. it started to spin the tires and the rest is history.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A car weighing over 3000lbs that will run 4.90s @ over 140mph in the 1/8 on Drag radials is pushing it.....no matter what anyone says! Look how soft the car left...once the power started to come on it broke the tires loose. Track condition has to be perfect for cars like this.

S

·
0 Posts
I agree with you BFT, but we can learn and when we are not racing, we can re-inact what happend in the garage. Pratice the what if's.. (self made engine noise is required).

Thank you David.. Axle issues are ruled out.. The DR uses 17lbs of pressure and has some real stout sidewalls.. I'm hung up on the brake light now..

Laters!

·
Registered
270 Posts
If yall look at the video real good you will see the car break the tires loose for whatever reason, it then turn a little bit sideways. Then he hits the brakes hard, the car roll fordward onto the fround tires. and goes into a skid. You can then see the car roll back a little bit, as if he let off the brake a little but it is to late. Over the years I have seen so many cars go into the wall due to being on the breaks. when a fast car gets sideways the best thing to do is just let off. That is just my two cents.....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Guy's I'm sorry for such a bad deal but I must say that these tracks don't look like the can handle the raw power that these car are cappible of laying down. Heck they sould have gaurd walls ( like concrete) all the way down,I bet they barely know how to prep a track or even spray it down with traction compound. Don't these place's even have INSURANCE incase the spectators get hit???

Sorry I'm just venting for the lose of this poor guys car.

Ace

·
Registered
270 Posts
The guard rails that they do have have only been up for about 3-4 years. The track has also been resurface for about 2 years. This is a very old track, I have photo's that were shot in 1970 at this track till they installed the guard rail , you could go to the same spot hold the photo up and look at the track thsy were the same! We call this track sin city. It is also one of the better working tracks around here. But like a LOT of tracks they have not keep up with the increase in ET and MPH of cars that are raceing today.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Are you guys sure it had a BBF engine in it.

The only reason i ask is the new Race Pages says the car has a SBF with a Procharger F3R supercharger on it.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Davids car is powered by a supercharged big block Chevy. Rumer has it that some people from Miami or south florida came in looking for a money race, stirring the poop pot with a camero that went a 5.oish first pass off trailer. Story goes that David played with the tune up and lost traction on the big end at 130 plus plus. 14 or so months ago I wrecked my Mustang at the same track, same lane about the same spot David went to the left and I went to the right. No guard rails past the 600'?. On another site David and his family stated that they were happy for the lack of guard rails and I am sure glad that there wernt when I wrecked my car. GOD BLESS Bob Cole

·
Registered
524 Posts
I can't remember who is was from the forum here but someone with a BBFox coupe that's pretty nice had a wheel bearing failure or something like that at that track a little while ago. They were in the R lane and spun around into the grass. A person in the background said. Whoa, Whoa, whoa, hold on to it haus! Just thought that was funny. I still like gaurd rails.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If the run out area is about a 100 yards of flat packed ground.......... or better yet asphault. Then no guardrails. But when its soft dirt... DOesn't matter what these families believe, the odds of a car not digging in and going into a violent flip, I'de rather bounce of of some arco. The concrete walls, designed for fan protection, they will hurt a driver. But the aluminum, will absorb impact.

At some point in time, we all die. Its inevitable, from the day we were born, we started dieing. Steve Grebecks accident, preventable, BY STEVE. The Arco didn't kill him, it was just the impact point. As drivers we have to assess the risk to rewards, and then ramp up our ability.

Ashly Force's little accident the last weekend case in point.

The old man has burnt tires off.....
burnt bodies off with blow ups......
and hit walls, sand etc.........

But when baby had her first moment, the world stopped breathing. Now Eric Medlins death has the team a little spooked, but that incident she had, Daddy would have never tapped the wall, much less recked a car. I would have probably ended up in the stands dead........... its capability and experience... when performance, or the situation exceeds those, bad things happen. Luke of a graseful slide up a dirt embankment......... odds are against ya.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts