460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I said in another thread, I can’t seem to get the hp I want from what I have and it seems that it’s my program that is tight with the hp.

So, to see how close DT is, I used the 460hp chart for the specs and here is what I found;

275-300hp
Temp 68, hum 0, altitude 0.
460 cube
Head flow as per Scotty (315/180 peak) (which is where I might be off)
2.08/1.65 valve
9:1 comp
Gas at 12.5af
Wedge head design with closed chamber
Dual plane intake (std flow, tried high tq which this intake actually is and it really kills hp and really, really boosts tq)
750 carb at 1.5”
Hp manifolds, mufflers, no cats
(although changing to open small header bumps hp to [email protected] and [email protected], maybe that’s my issue?)
Cam is as posted .476/.479 lift
240/250 dur
196/[email protected]
112 lobe centreline

[email protected]
[email protected] tq

With small open headers is
[email protected]

let’s try another, maybe it is just the exh part that is messing everything up?

375-400hp
All same with bigger cam and small open headers
262/270
218/224
.513/.520
[email protected]
[email protected]

large tube open headers,
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hmmmm, I think I’ll hit Richard holdener on YouTube and try and match his 350hp stock 68 460 from a Lincoln. I’m guessing 250hp??🤨

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Powernation….🙄🙄🙄 only watched because they built a stock 460 with a .494 flat tappet hyd cam from comp (.494 int and exh🙄)
and a weiand stealth intake.
No porting just a stock head rebuild
[email protected]
[email protected]

richard holdener “the other guys big block”
68 460 bored .030
10:1 comp
Everything stock rebuild.
750 holley
Long tube dyno headers
Stock cam
[email protected]
[email protected]

added a weiand stealth intake
[email protected]
[email protected] but 35# loss below 3500!

Roller rockers… zero change basically.

added comp xe262h cam .513/.520lift and 218/[email protected] 110lsa (look familiar? Lol)

[email protected]
[email protected]

added mildly ported cast iron heads
[email protected]
[email protected]

Bored to .060 over and installed flat top piston, set of heads and cam from MPG to make 600hp.
Solid flat tappet cam, single plane victor jr and dominator carb
[email protected]
[email protected]

with, ported.. cast iron… heads…😳😳

Now to get to work on the desktop dyno to see how far out it is.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Fwiw HP is calculated off of torque... which is measured.
Desktop Dyno is useful for comparing variables like cams, intake, exh... but not so good with providing accurate results... unless you're a chevy guy building a ford engine. LOL
Devil is in the details and DD doesn't allow users to tweak the details in the software. Nor does it consider build variation... say from a newby to an experienced builder like SJ. Also there's the expectation factor... or stroking the customer egos for those that pay for dyno time after a build. So... take DD with a grain of salt.

If you want better (much better) build details or examples, look up the builds by SJ / PPAM on fakebook. And when you want a cam, that optimizes your combination, call SJ at PPAM. A custom cam is not that much more than a 'one size fits most', or an off the shelf grind from those big name companies. But the custom cam optimizes your build for your application... and SJ could provide more details like the best timing curve, hp/tq rpm peaks and very close values.
...my experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts