460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
77 Lincoln, did my worn out timing chain jump a tooth? I’m at TDC, and the only thing that seems to line up is the keyway at 12 o’clock. I’m aware this has the factory retarded cam timing for emissions but it still seems off. The cam gear marking is pointed towards the drivers side and not at 6 o’clock. Either way I’m replacing it to get rid of the plastic tooth gear and the chain is extremely loose.
Gear Bicycle part Rim Vehicle brake Machine

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yuppers, that's jumped time... The marks are supposed to line up with each other...
I’m thinking the same. I think that the crank sprocket mark on the factory retarded gear doesn’t match 12 o’clock from the factory, only the crank keyway should face 12 o’clock. And the cam sprocket mark should be facing 6 o’clock no matter what at TDC?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have not jumped a tooth yet.

When setting up the later timing sets it is tooth to tooth.
If you were to advance the crank so the tooth with the white dot is at noon the cam would be about a half tooth retarded due to chain stretch and gear tooth wear.

When the crank is advanced relative to the alignment tooth the cam is retarded.

Set up with a good quality double roller timing set. Straight up where tooth AND keyway are at NOON.

Properly curved distributor.

The above along with a high flow 180* stat are a good start to a better running smogger engine
So I make sure I’m understanding, when I put on a new straight up set, crank keyway & tooth should be facing noon & cam tooth & marking should be facing 6 o’clock?

To do this, should I move the cam clockwise to line up?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve got some parts to order so it will be a while until I get it put back together but this gives me good direction.
The car has been backfiring out of the carb, burning extremely rich(fouling plugs almost immediately). It wouldn’t even start yesterday. I have already:
Rebuilt carb(twice just to confirm)
New plugs
New wires
New cap & rotor
New fuel filter
Timed with advance unplugged at 16* BTC
Compression test looked good

So even though it may not have jumped a tooth, hopefully this is my problem. Here’s the land yacht:
Lincoln mark series Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes it does it is in real rough shape though. but there is usuable parts on it if needed.mice got in intertior and body lots rust . but grill and some chrome trims in real good shape. i just tore engine trans and rear end out rest going for scrap
I'm pretty set on the exterior. If the car happens to have a good horn pad, headlight switch(not just the knob but whole switch) and seat belt hole plugs(pictured) I may be interested. Your profile shows the Canadian flag, are you near SK?
Hood Tie Aqua Gadget Motor vehicle

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya i am in sk yes .
the horn pad is not good .
I was just curious as I'm in NW North Dakota so I border SK.

The interior is actually different than mine, your interior is from a Mark IV, they were built 72 to 76. The Mark V's were 77 to 79. So the headlight switch and gauges are different and wouldn't swap. The seat belt plug looks to be the same though. Let me know if you have the pair and what you're asking. You can message me if you'd like. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I got the old gears off and fitted the new ones on. The engine is at TDC and both crank and cam gear dots line up at noon and 6. However, my distributor is not facing #1. The black line on my distributor is #1. Why would that be off?
Gear Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Scratch that. As usual I was over thinking it. All I had to do was loosen the dizzy and turn it to match #1.

Another question though. The factory cam gear protruded out to allow the outer piece of the 2 piece fuel eccentric to spin freely when torqued down. The new Cloyes set is flat, so when the cam bolt is torqued down it seizes the outer piece of the eccentric against the gear. Should/could I put a thin washer between the eccentric and gear to allow it to spin freely again?
Automotive tire Fluid Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
HI
over thinking,,,, the new set is most likely a double roller and is thicker than the factory plastic gear just bolt it up .. the eccentric should not spin freely

good luck take care be safe
tim
It is a double roller. The factory 2 piece eccentric outer part is designed to spin freely. The 1 pieces are stationary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts