460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 73 Aussie coupe( similar weight to a mach1) iam about to put a 540ci in it around the 650hp and similar ftlb. Running a c6 with around 3000 stall. I would love some input on diff gearing. I'm not going to race it ( maybe once). I have 28 tall tyre, and was thinking of 3:25 diff gear ratio. Will I be loosing a considerable amount of down low performance? Say compared to a 3:7 or 3:9. I really want to keep it streetable and have a good highway cruise rpm.
Any input would be great, experience with 1/4 track times with similar gears in comparisons with other gears stuff like that.
Cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you do any highway driving over 60 mph (100kph) on a regular basis? With that many cubic inches you won’t be lacking torque so a 3.25 or 3.50 gear makes the most sense to me. Download the Tremec Toolbox app, it’s a great calculator for these types of questions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you do any highway driving over 60 mph (100kph) on a regular basis? With that many cubic inches you won’t be lacking torque so a 3.25 or 3.50 gear makes the most sense to me. Download the Tremec Toolbox app, it’s a great calculator for these types of questions.
When the car is on the road that is what Iam planning to do , nice long cruises on the open roads at 100kph. I was thinking the same thing , with the amount of low down torque it will eat up those 3.25 s no problem .

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You got a coupe dude..........that rear needs to be filled out IMO.

Get a 295 65 or 295 60 and run a 3.7/3.9.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
122 Posts
Will be putting this theory to the test next week, went from 4.10 to 2.5 gears! Don’t need overdrive no more! 521 kaase heads 4000 stall, big hyd roller, stay tuned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts