460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Can someone tell me why i cant get my distruitor seated its a new motor rebuild and i cant get the distuitor to drop in the hole .The oil pump turns freely and the oil pump shaft is install correctly.the motor turns over by hand so ithink the cam is were it needs to be in line with the distuitor.i never had this problem befor anybody got any ideas thanks guys

·
Registered
61 Posts
I installed my distributor about a week ago. I was having a hard time getting it to fall all the way in. To get it to seat properly I turned the engine over just a slight amount as I set the distributor in. It then slipped in very easily.

Not sure if this is a recommended thing to do but it worked well for me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys tried both ideas the oil pump shaft isnt center and i cant keep it center idont want to take the oil pan off or timimg cover to hold it center ill try turning the crank a litte more.Any more ideas guys

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have jacked up one side of the vehicle a lot to let the hex shaft center itself before...... helps a little.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it in i put a little grease a round the oil pump shaft were it gos throw the the hole that keep it centerd put hand pressure on the rotor while turnnig the crank .a couple of turns and it drop in. Thank you all for your help:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts