460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy at work has a '63 Fairlane 500 and he wants to upgrade to front disc brakes. Would any body happen to know what other car he could get spindles and related parts off of?
Would he have to change the proportioning valve too? Also going to switch to power brakes too. If you know of any other things to do, please tell.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Brakes?

Do you want new stuff or used?

New, Dearborn Classics has the complete kit. If you are looking for used I will have to do some checking. If you run disks on the front and drums on the rear you will need to run a prop valve.

Clay

·
Registered
306 Posts
I bought my disc conversion kit for my 67 Fairlane from Classic services restoration parts on e-bay for under $600. It converts it with all new parts to factory replacement type parts. They might have what you are looking for Dearborne classics has a large selection but they are expensive.
Good luck
Dave
:)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
tsmmfg.com has rear disc conversion parts too if he wanted to go 4 wheel disc :) for around 500 for the rear

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. He did mention he would like to do this as cheap as possible. (Budget build). Used parts would be fine as bearings, ball joints, etc will be replaced.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is something different on the 63 down cars than 64 up cars.
i'm trying to find the article . think it was bearings and brackets.

EDIT: found it....http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=12

on the left side click on your yr. car
O.K., now you have me a little confused. Are they using a bearing spacer because of the rotors they use? Looks like G.M. calipers too. I wonder what application the spindles are from.

A buddy has a few different spindle assemblies off of different cars, we'll probably try a couple different ones to see which works the best for him.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I believe that the Scarebird kit is a kit that uses existing spindles. Replacing the Fairlane spindles w/ Granada/Monarch or disc brake Mavrick spindles negates that issue. The Granada rotor fits the Granada spindle w/ no spacer. Hangman, where are you located?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts