460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to upgrade the front disc brakes on my 1971 Torino GT. I think the stock diameter is 11.5" and would like to have a 13" diameter for both functional and cosmetic reasons (17" Rims). I want to retain the front suspension - no Mustang II swap or coil-overs - but, haven't found anybody that makes the product I'm looking for? What other Ford brake parts would / could interchange? Or, does somebody make a 13" disc brake swap for this car?

Thanks!

Ken
(Berkeley, CA)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Have you tried Wilwood? I have never worked on one of those before, is the rotor and hub all one piece?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like Wilwood does offer an upgrade kit. The website shows a 11.75" Dia Disc Brake (Summit offers this kit for just under $700). The kit carries the same part number for the 70-71 Fairlane (same as Torino) as is the 70-73 Mustang. Then Global West also carries Wilwood with 12.2" & 13" options, too (requiring the larger spindle from 70-73 Mustang). Does the 71 Torino have this same large spindle???
Getting closer....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heres the Torino Site

I believe they do have the bigger spindles.But go to this Torino Cobra site these guys would be able to tell you more

http://www.network54.com/Forum/198944/

I believe Phil knows and hangs out with these guys hes got the torino

Im looking at the same package for my torino but I want to do the rear first. I just got the total control front suspension for my car

Devin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts